Almost everyone loves camping every once in a while. The only problem is that a lot of tents on the market are of standard size for two or four. On top of that, they are expensive, poorly made, and doesn’t last very long. What you need is one of the best family tents that can take all the beating and still be a stand-up tent.
Don’t let a low quality and faulty product ruin your camping or backpacking experience. Either purchase one of the top-rated tents for camping or one that is made by the best tent brands. To help you with your search, you can check our list below.
- 1 Top-Rated Family Camping Tents
- 2 Coleman Montana 8-Person Waterproof Camping Tent (TOP Choice)
- 3 Coleman Tenaya Lake Fast Pitch Large Cabin Tent (Best Value)
- 4 CORE 12-Person Instant Tent
- 5 Coleman Sundome 4-Person Tent
- 6 Wenzel Tall Person Klondike Tent
- 7 Coleman Evanston Screened 6-Person Waterproof Tent
- 8 Ozark Trail Family Tent
- 9 Coleman Multi-Room Red Canyon Tent
- 10 Mountain Trails Grand Pass 10-Person Dome Tent
- 11 Ozark Trail 12 Man 3 Room Camp Tent
- 12 How to Choose a Large Family Tent for Camping
Top-Rated Family Camping Tents
Coleman Montana 8-Person Waterproof Camping Tent (TOP Choice)
Coleman has been around the camping industry for more than a decade. It is a statement of how well they know what good camping tents really are. With over thousands of positive reviews from its customers, there’s no doubt you’re getting yourself a high-quality family size tent.
This product is able to accommodate a maximum of 8 persons. Compared to its competitors, it is quite affordable. It is made of polyester, a waterproof material that is widely used in tents. The dimensions are 16 x 7 feet and a center height that measures 6 feet and 2 inches. It has a weight of only 24.5 pounds. The product is spacious enough for 8 people when perfectly planned out.
- This big tent has an easy setup with an approximate time of 15 minutes. It is very convenient especially when an unexpected weather occurs.
- There is an extended door awning in which keeps your gears including yours dry. The hinged door also allows easy access to and from the inside and outside.
- This model is designed with a WeatherTec system and an inverted seam that helps keep the water out. Even the zipper and flooring is made water-proof.
- This option comes in three different colors: Black; Green; and Blue.
- Although there are stakes included in the package, it is always recommended to get extras.
- It is possible to get the maximum of 8 people inside the model but it would not be comfortable. The model is more like a six-person tent.
Coleman Tenaya Lake Fast Pitch Large Cabin Tent (Best Value)
Coleman Tenaya Tent may be simple in looks but it is very sturdy and reliable during rainy seasons. In fact, some of its reviews even mentioned of being windproof even with a speed of 60 MPH. This just goes to show how good this cabin tent can be. Not to mention, it is a product made by Coleman, one of the brands well-known for camping gears and accessories.
The product is measured at 13 x 9 feet and has a center height of 6 foot and 8 inches. It only weighs around 35.4 pounds. It actually is enough to fit 8 people inside. Similar to their Coleman Montana tent, it has been rated as one of the best big cabin tents and among the top-rated tents with 84% satisfaction rating.
- The product has a built-in closet with shelves inside to help you get your stuff organized. It is quite handy not to lose any important gears or equipment.
- The product is equipped with WeatherTec system with patented welded floors to keep the inside dry as possible.
- The fastpitch design of the product reduces the time of set up to approximately 9 minutes only.
- This option is very durable when set up perfectly, but can be wobbly if it wasn’t.
- The instructions provided are a little complicated given that there are small poles included for the closet feature.
- The overall durability of the product is not quite what people would’ve expected. It may be great for the first few uses, but it can be questionable after.
CORE 12-Person Instant Tent
If you’re in the market for the best of the family-sized tents, CORE is able to provide you just that. This model can accommodate up to 12 people and can fit three queen air mattresses. It is made by a well-known brand that focuses on camping gears and equipment. With their dedication to the industry, you’ll likely get yourself a reliable and sturdy tent.
This option may not be the best top-rated tent, but the 12 person capacity is not an easy feat. With dimensions of 18 x 10 feet and a tall center height of 6 foot and 8 inches, it requires a sturdier frame. The wide space inside the model is conveniently planned out even. There are two room dividers, possible to create three separate rooms. That being said, this is no doubt one of the best cabin tents out on the market.
- Aside from the two room dividers, the product has neatly designed vestibule and windows are zippered to provide privacy for each separate room.
- This option has a pre-assembled durable frame that can be set up in just an instant, approximately 2 minutes. All you have to do is unpack, unfold its legs, and extend until the poles are in position and the tent will pop-up.
- There is an adjustable vent on this multiple person instant tent that would help in the ventilation.
- This roomed tent is not as cheap as most people would have wanted.
- It’s a bit heavy at 52.5 pounds.
Coleman Sundome 4-Person Tent
Coleman Sundome is a 4-person tent that is made just right for regular campers and small families. It takes into consideration all the things you might encounter outdoors. As you may well know, Coleman isn’t one of your ordinary brands, but a popular one due to its consistently high-quality products. This one, of course, is one of the better products, and the 90% product rating is its proof.
What makes this model one of the best choices is it costs just under $100. Considering how well it was made and how effective it really is, some might even say it’s a steal. The dimensions are 9 x 7 feet and with a center height of 4 feet and 11 inches. This model also only weighs around 9.6 pounds.
- This lightweight tent is made of polyester, a known waterproof fabric to keep you cool and dry.
- The interior is spacious enough for 4 people to fit while having enough space to move around comfortably.
- The product has an easy setup in just 10 minutes.
- There are windows and a ground vent to provide better ventilation.
- This option is equipped with Coleman’s WeatherTec system and welded floors to keep the interior dry.
- The model is great for mild weather conditions but not so great when rain and wind are mixed in.
- With an inexpensive price compared to its competitors, some of the materials may not be durable enough for many uses.
Wenzel Tall Person Klondike Tent
This model is among the few brands that can actually compete with Coleman and its modern designs. It has been in the camping gear industry for 130 years and continues to do so with new innovations and designs. Their focus is to help keep the camping experience refreshing and safe. It is what makes this product one of the best waterproof tents out there.
Wenzel Klondike 8 person family tent has a spacious interior. It measures at 16 x 11 feet and has a center height of 6 feet 6 inches. It weighs around 25.9 pounds. It has 2 separate rooms, one is 98 square feet, and the other is at 60 square feet. It is one of the biggest family-sized tents you can get at an affordable price.
- This rainproof tent has a large front awning that acts as camping porch with a bit of protection from mild weather conditions.
- This option has mesh roof vents and zippered windows to provide families good air ventilation. A good summer tent to keep you and your family cool.
- It has an awesome and comfortable design that makes it one of the coolest tents.
- The product is made of polyester fabric coated with polyurethane water resistant for better waterproofing.
- You may want to reinforce your glass poles for more support especially when the weather is too windy.
Coleman Evanston Screened 6-Person Waterproof Tent
Evanston Screened Tent is a 6 person waterproof tent that has added some extra features for camping protection. It is one of the best large camping tents for a family. It has a screen room that prevents nasty bugs from ruining your relaxation. It also offers a good sleeping space during warm nights. On top of that, it is one of the easiest tents to set up. It may not be instant but it is reasonably quick.
This reasonably big tent has dimensions of 10 x 9 feet and with a center height of 5 feet and 8 inches. It weighs around 23 pounds. It was designed with a strong frame to withstand over 35 MPH winds. It also has storage pockets on its interior to keep your things organized.
- This model has an easy setup and includes an Insta-Clip suspension to help secure your poles into place.
- The model makes use of a Polyguard fabric, a highly durable material that can last for seasons.
- It has a tub floor installed with a patented corner welds to help waterproofing the interior.
- The model is very well-received by its customers with an overall product rating of 86%.
- A WeatherTec system is installed to help keep the interior dry.
- This option has a cheap price at around $86, considering it can fit 6 people.
- Compared to its competitors, the center height does not reach at least 6 feet to which most people would have wanted.
Ozark Trail Family Tent
Ozark may not be as experienced as Coleman and Wenzel, but it does have enough with 40 years in the outdoor supply industry. It is a four season family tent that can fit eight adults comfortably. It is the largest camping model listed here, with dimensions of a good 20 x 10 feet. The center height is at 6 feet and 6 inches. It can even fit three queen-sized mattresses.
What makes this family tent extremely convenient is it has two removable room dividers. These dividers can make three separate rooms for a little privacy between campers. Unlike its competitors, there’s not enough room and makes it a little inconvenient to move around in the interior of the tent.
- With the tent’s huge available space, it is enough to fit six windows for better ventilation. It also is wide enough for campers to enjoy a panoramic view of the area.
- This giant tent is equipped with a taped fly seams that prevent any leakages during rainy weather conditions.
- The product is affordable, compared to its competitors that have the same quality but are somewhat $100 more expensive.
- This family tent is not purchasable by California residents because of their own state restrictions.
- Just like other ordinary models, the poles can break during very strong winds.
Coleman Multi-Room Red Canyon Tent
Coleman Multi-Room Tent is one that is definitely worth your money. It is cheap at a little more $100, considering that it has a capacity of 8 people. Moreover, it has thousands of customer reviews that are extremely satisfied. It’s somewhat not a surprise really since it is a product made by one of the finest makers of camping tents.
With an 8 person capacity, you can expect the model to have a very wide interior space. That being said, the dimensions are at 17 x 10 feet and a center height of 6 feet. The model weighs around 25 pounds. Though the overall frame is somewhat large, it is sturdy and will be able to handle strong winds.
- There are three different colors you can choose from Black; Blue; and Red.
- The room dividers make the tent more accommodating by having privacy between campers.
- The product has an adjustable venting system with a Cool-Air port that allows campers to easily adjust the airflow.
- The tent is equipped with the brand’s popular Weathertec System that guarantees to keep campers dry and warm from mild weather conditions.
- The poles that hold the tent together may need support, especially on rugged grounds. Most complaints from reviews seem to have trouble with broken poles often.
Mountain Trails Grand Pass 10-Person Dome Tent
Mountain Trails Grand Pass 10-Person Dome Tent is one of the large tents you can get at an affordable price. It is neatly stuffed as a Stow ‘n’ Go duffel system, even with fairly wide dimensions of 19 x 10 feet and a center height of 6.3 feet. It makes use of a high-end shock-corded fiberglass frame designed with a pin-and-ring system that makes it an easy setup.
Unlike most models that are made of polyester, this one makes use of nylon. Similar to polyester, it is a well-known fabric that’s mostly used for waterproofing. You can have the product in two colors, namely red and blue. The product weighs 21 pounds.
- The dome design gives much more space on the interior for campers to freely move around.
- There are large mesh roof vents and windows installed for better ventilation. This would help campers feel comfortable during the warm nights.
- There is 2 large D-style doors installed and a fly frame for easy access and helps prevent rain from getting inside.
- Although it has fewer customer reviews than some of its competitors, it has a good product rating of 86%.
- The one issue about this tent if you can’t get your things for camping organized. It does not have any storage design which could have helped a lot of campers.
Ozark Trail 12 Man 3 Room Camp Tent
Ozark Trail cabin tent is one of the most recommended four season family tents. It can perfectly fit all 12 people inside with its very wide dimensions of 16 x 16 feet and a center height of more or less 6 feet. In fact, the interior space can even fit 3 queen air mattresses. If you have a huge family and you’re looking for a tent to sleep in, this would be the best choice.
What makes this product exceptional is the security it provides. Not only does it protect you from harsh weather conditions, it also somewhat helps repel wild animals. It has a power outlet in which electrifies the exterior, meant to keep the bears, mountain lions or other wild animals off your camp. No need to worry about getting electrocuted, since you’ll likely be inside and grounded.
- This 3 room camping tent has a protective design that gives it an edge over its competitors. There are only a few tents that could manage to repel wild animals.
- It is a multi-room tent that provides privacy for campers.
- The sturdiness of the poles and wind resistant built makes it one of the most durable tents out there.
- While the tent is somewhat affordable, it would’ve been nice if it was cheaper. A lot of its competitors are just under $200, providing the same maximum capacity of campers.
- It is quite heavy at 61 pounds.
How to Choose a Large Family Tent for Camping
Looking for a large tent to fit in all family members can be crucial. You will need to consider all the space, how weatherproof the tent is, the cost, and other helpful features you might need. It may not be too friendly on the budget, but it surely will help you with a comfortable outdoor house. You will have to buy high-end tents. Settling for mediocrity may not be a good idea when talking about someplace to sleep in.
Factors to Consider in Buying a Large Family Tent:
- The Types. Some people may not know this but there are two general tent types. These would be your Cabin Style Tents and Dome Style tents. Cabin types are designed to have vertical walls. It is basically more spacious inside the model, giving the campers to move more freely. The only problem with cabin style tents is that they are more prone to damage caused by strong winds. The dome types are more durable but provide lesser space. The walls converge at an apex, and thus providing limited space. They are also not recommended for claustrophobics. Even though the dimensions mentioned may be huge, it generally means the base and not space.
- The Size. Getting a perfect size can a little be tricky. Some tents will claim to have a capacity of 8 persons, but large people can probably only fit 6. Consider not only the size of the tent, but also the size of the campers. Also, make sure it is not heavy enough to carry around. Now for family tents, they usually can handle around 8 to 10 people. For the manufacturers, they usually take into account children families may have. That being said, a family tent of 10 people can probably accommodate 6 to 8 adults. Also, center height would be a big signifier on how wide the interior space actually is.
- The Materials. There are usually 2 fabric choices when picking a camping tent. Nylon is more preferred on the sides of the tent, as they can provide more breathability for the campers. It has the ability to allow moisture to dissipate. Polyester fabric is amazing to use on a rain fly. A rain fly is a separate fabric that goes over the tent as a roof canvas, preventing rain from leaking inside. If you want a real water-proof tent, make sure you cover all parts of the tent and not just the roof. Another thing to consider when talking about materials are the poles. Aluminum poles are the more heavy duty and can handle stronger winds than the fiberglass. It also lasts longer and can be used time and time again.
- The Dividers. The dividers of a family sized tent are essential to have organized rooms. It can be used to separate children and have their own fun, while adults can have their own private relaxation. It is basically a provider of privacy between campers. It may not be soundproof, but it gives the feeling of a little privacy nevertheless.
- The Extra Features. These can be your powered tents, extra storages, or bug protection. The features mainly rely on what you actually need during camping. Some campers usually go to places with a mild weather condition, while some places are bug-infested. You can get a tent with mesh windows, to have more ventilation and protection from bugs. If heat is too much, you might want to get the coolest tents that feature larger windows. The powered tents usually provide extra protection from bigger and wilder animals such as bears and mountain lions. They are charged up and will electrocute anyone or anything that would attempt to get inside your tent. This is a huge advantage over many models since it involves the safety of campers and families.
- The Extra Gears.Remember, you can always get an extra porch, extensions, carpets, or footprints. These are all available in a store near you or you can just order online. Instead of purchasing a tent with all these features, you can get them individually instead and save some cash.