Do you love filming but don’t have steady hands for it?
There is one simple solution. You must simply purchase a stabilizer. It’s a handheld device that attaches to your DSLR, GoPro or Smartphone. The part that mounts onto them remains stable even when your hands are shaking the handle.
All you need to know about the best DSLR camera stabilizers, gimbals and Steadicams is in this review. Take a read and determine which one of the top-rated Steadicams for DSLR is the best for you.
- 1 Top-Rated DSLR Camera Stabilizers
- 2 ROXANT PRO Video Camera Stabilizer (TOP Choice)
- 3 Zhiyun Crane 2 2018 Follow Focus Handheld Gimbal Stabilizer (Best Value)
- 4 DJI Ronin-M 3-Axis Gimbal Stabilizer
- 5 IMORDEN S-60c Handheld DSLR Camera Stabilizer
- 6 Glidecam HD-2000 Steadicam
- 7 Neewer Film Movie Making Kit
- 8 Glide Gear Gyro Motorized DSLR & Mirrorless
- 9 Cam Caddie Professional Stabilizing Handle for DSLR
- 10 LanParte HHG-01 Motorized Brushless Gimbal for GoPro & Smartphones
- 11 RetiCAM Heavy-Duty Tripod Mount with Hand Grip
- 12 Things to Consider Before Buying a Camera Stabilizer for DSLR, GoPro or Smartphone
Top-Rated DSLR Camera Stabilizers
ROXANT PRO Video Camera Stabilizer (TOP Choice)
The Roxant smooth pro glidecam is well balanced which helps you record seamlessly. With this video camera stabilizer, you’ll achieve that professional looking imagery you want. You can adjust the balance accurately because of the three separate counterweights.
You have great versatility with this DSLR rig. You can attach your:
The Roxant Pro can hold anything weighing up to 2.1lb. The unit weighs 2.4lb so you can record for hours and your arms won’t feel tired after working with it all day.
This top-rated Steadicam is made of heavy-duty materials. The construction of it has gone through numerous quality checks. This ensures the model can carry your cam for hours and the pressure of it won’t wear out the rig quickly.
The lower arm of the product has a nonslip grip handle. Your hand won’t feel tired or uncomfortable when you hold it when you shoot.
What exactly can you shoot with this handheld model? It provides smooth motion shots for:
- When you’re in a tight space
- When you walk up or down stairs
- Going through crowds
- When filming in the car
You can use this rig when you shoot activities such as:
This option has a no shake quality embedded in it. If your hand shakes the motion won’t affect the part attached to the camera. It offers more stability compared to other stabilizers.
- Compact: The Roxant is slightly smaller than others which makes it easier to carry.
- Metal frame: The sturdy construction makes it long lasting.
- Practical for beginners: The basic design helps beginners to photography learn how to work with a stabilizer.
- Easy attaching: It’s quick to attach different cameras to the rig.
- Difficult setup: Assembling it takes a long time and sometimes pieces don’t fit as they should.
- Unbalanced configuration: This option may not balance your camera even when you try adjusting the configurations.
- Limited movements: You can’t turn the rig in certain ways as it causes the camera to jerk.
- Small handle: The handle is too small for you to comfortably wrap your hand around.
Zhiyun Crane 2 2018 Follow Focus Handheld Gimbal Stabilizer (Best Value)
This is a top gimbal stabilizer for DSLR cameras. This model offers 0.02° accurate control for cameras with an autofocus to shoot in precision. It does this through the cable connection. This accurate control is ideal for Canon DSLR and mirrorless cameras. They keep their focus on the subject even when you change the angle of the cam.
The Zhiyun Crane supports cams that weigh between 1.1lb to 7.lb. It’s a perfect fit for:
- Canon EOS Series
- Panasonic Lumix series
- Sony ILCE series
- Nikon D series
The Zhiyun is embedded with innovative design features which make your videography easier. The quick control dial helps you toggle through the parameter setting instantaneously. These parameter settings help you work better with software applications appropriate for them. They include:
The OLEN digital display screen comes in handy when you film because it indicates:
- The connection status
- Battery level
- Control mode
The Zhiyun offers you a complete kit to help you better your talent as a videographer:
- Standard quick release plate: You can mount the camera on the stabilizer or tripod within seconds.
- Aluminum allows tripod: This gives you better stabilization to capture still photos.
- EVA carry bag: The product is easily portable because it’s compact.
One feature that is surely impressive is the Anti shaking stabilization. The 32 bit×3 high-speed MCU parallel control improves the response rate. It doesn’t let quick jerks shake the camera. It has the best Pro Grade image stabilization in its class.
- Plenty of cables: The Crane 2 arrives with different cables for it to quickly detect the DSLR mounted for best stabilization.
- Fast balancing: It takes approximately one minute for the gimbal to balance.
- Protective bag: The bag where you can store the Zhiyun is tough which protects the contents from damage due to exterior rough handling.
- Easy setup: You can assemble the model within minutes.
- Incompatible Android App: Some Android devices won’t be compatible with the ZY play app.
- Loud balancing noise: A noise can be heard when you balance the camera.
- Difficult software: The software takes time to learn.
- Battery draining: This option can drain your camera’s battery quickly.
DJI Ronin-M 3-Axis Gimbal Stabilizer
You have total control in your hands with the DJI Ronin-M 3. The advanced auto tune stability technology makes balancing more precise with no tools needed. Within minutes you can attach your equipment and balance.
The design of the Ronin-M 3 is flexible. If you’re shooting in tight spaces you can remove the top handles to achieve the size you need. This also lets you assemble or pack up within minutes.
There are three modes which you can shoot:
- Underslung mode: The Ronin-M 3 is held directly in front of you at a chest level.
- Upright mode: The holder flips and will be at eye level or above your head.
- Briefcase mode: The gimbal converts vertically where you hold it downwards closer to your legs.
The Bluetooth app lets you control the Ronin-M 3 remotely. You’re able to:
- Autotune the stability
- Adjust your favorite settings
- Monitor the battery status
- Customize shooting styles
- Silent mode: The motors won’t make a noise.
- Battery indicator: The LED lights give accurate readings of the battery life before it needs a recharge.
- Remote control: You can have a second person operating the camera movement on Ronin-M 3 while the other only holds it.
- Long lasting battery: The battery lasts and can be recharged within hours.
- Heavy: The Ronin with the mounted equipment will be too heavy to carry for long periods.
- Unresponsive: You may need to move drastically to get a response.
- No solid connection: The gimbal can lose connection from the app or remote.
- Faulty battery port: The unit indicates the battery is not detected even though it’s supplied with the Ronin-M 3.
IMORDEN S-60c Handheld DSLR Camera Stabilizer
This is one of the top gimbal stabilizers for DSLR that you could ever find. The model is helping professionals produce stable footage even when they walk or run.
This option is the perfect addition to your videography equipment for these types of events:
- Outdoor games
Another key feature of the IMORDEN professionals love is the easy setup. Minimal tools are required for you to mount your cam.
What contributes toward an easy setup is the quick release plate. It’s universal which makes it possible for any type of camera to attach to it. It’s also the support accessory for your DSLR for it not to slip out.
This device is lightweight and the handle is comfortable. When you film for hours you’ll barely feel tired. The lightweight nature also comes handy when you want different shots of the scenery. You can easily maneuver it to the angle you want.
When you’re done filming for the day you can disassemble the model as quickly as when you set it up. All the parts fold neatly into the carry bag which makes for easy portability.
- Great affordability: the model provides all the features you wouldn’t expect for a Steadicam in this price range.
- Sturdy construction: The construction is tough and durable.
- Lightweight and compact: You can film for hours without feeling tired.
- Easy to balance: You can balance the cam on the mount within minutes.
- Unfit screws: The screws don’t have secure grips on the plate which can cause the camera to slip.
- Constant balancing: Every time you mount a camera you need to balance the IMORDERN.
- No user manual: There are no instructions to help you set up.
- Slow moving: It doesn’t stabilize for quick movements.
Glidecam HD-2000 Steadicam
Add more stability with this handheld glider. It’s small, lightweight and most DSLRs are mountable on its large base. The large base also allows your camcorder and other types of video recorders to mount onto it.
When you film with the support of the glide cam you’ll experience these results:
- Video capturing that is so flawless it seems the handheld gimbal was floating.
- The cam remains balanced no matter how much you move.
- The motion of the product will not be influenced by your shaky hands.
These occurrences will be the same when you pan, tilt, walk and run with the glidecam. The model is a 3-axis gimbal. You can move it up and down & side to side without unwanted motions such as bouncing.
The gimbal is designed to give you convenience:
- Quick release button: You can quickly attach or detach the camera.
- No tools: You don’t need tools for balancing.
- Control knobs: That helps you to control the shooting movement holder without your hands.
Carrying the gimbal when your filming is also comfortable thanks you the foam padded handle grip. If ever you need to put the device on the floor the rubber feet will keep it upright. This design feature makes the gimbal double as a stationary tripod.
- Great steadiness: The Glidecam does steady shots for videos and photos.
- Versatility: The base can be adjusted for DSLR and camcorders.
- Control the speed: You can make the base pan or tilt as fast or slow as you want.
- More fluid: Videos are captured smoothly with no jolts.
- Heavy: The setup of the gimbal with the camera will be heavier than what you expect.
- Not a durable finish: The handle and base can scratch easily.
- Hard to calibrate: It’s difficult to balance the cam on the base.
- Poor instructions: The instructions are vague on how you can attach and balance the gimbal.
Neewer Film Movie Making Kit
The Neewer Video Cage stabilizer is the best piece of equipment for Indie filmmakers. This movie kit includes:
- One video cage
- Top handle grip
- 15mm rod for DSLRs
Don’t let the kit scare you into thinking it’s only for professionals. Amateur videographers can use Neewer as a tool to boost their filming skills.
The Neewer is mountable with these DSLRs:
- Canon 5D Mark II
The 1/4’’ mounting holes let you attach other accessories to the video cage such as LED lights, flashlights or a microphone boom.
The top handle grip is covered with a padded handle for comfort. The handle is also adjustable in height and can be mounted in either forward or reverse. To make adjustments easier the kit arrives with a wrench and screws.
The lightweight video cage can be easily assembled and disassembled which makes traveling convenient.Though its lightweight the aluminum body makes it durable against wear and tear. It’s built and promised to last for years.
- Easy setup: Assembling the video cage is quick.
- Comfort: The video cage is comfortable to carry for hours.
- Handle versatility: You can carry video cage by the top, bottom or side handles for added shooting angles.
- Mounting versatility: Most DSLR and mirrorless cameras can mount onto the video cage.
- Loose bolts: The bolts can loosen from the handle even if you tighten them.
- Hard to adjust: Certain poles are stuck in place which doesn’t allow you to adjust the handle properly.
- Poor parts: The screws can physically break.
- Doesn’t stabilize well: When walking the cam can shake.
Glide Gear Gyro Motorized DSLR & Mirrorless
It’s the company’s first mirrorless and DSLR 3-axis stabilizer. This is a great video cam stabilizer for videographers because it helps them achieve the best cinematic movements.
It is mountable with most DSLR and mirrorless cameras including:
- Canon 5D III,7D,70D
No tools are needed for you to mount them on the Glide Gear Gyro. The Glider Gear Gyro has an advanced floating point algorithm. You can swoop quickly to the subject without there being any vibrations shown in the images.
The gyroscope on the Glide Gear contributes to you videoing a subject with precision. There is a 360° tilt, roll and pan angle. The easy to use controller moves the recording gear smoothly and at the speed you want. It doesn’t lose its focus on the subject.
There are three modes to activate:
- The camera follows your wrist movement.
- The camera is locked on a subject and no matter how much you move it doesn’t break from it.
- The gimble can insert where the handle is on top. This mode is great for when you want to do sweep shots of the room.
The app for iOS and Android devices which lets you control the gimbal wirelessly.
- Neck strap: Stabilizing can be improved when you hold the gimbal close to you with the neck strap.
- Built-in adjustment screws: You can balance the cam easily by turning the built-in dials.
- Compact: The Glide Gear is compact and easy to carry in its bag.
- Easy to use: The joystick and its features are easy to use.
- Grinding noise: When the gyro swivels it can make a grinding noise.
- Drains battery: The AA batteries can drain quickly.
- Defective firmware: If you update the pre-existing firmware it may cause issues such as turning off unexpectedly.
- Unsmooth turning: The part where the swivels can feel jammed when it turns.
Cam Caddie Professional Stabilizing Handle for DSLR
Many agree that the Cam Caddie is a good handheld camera stabilizer. It’s the best handycam for photography and videography. The Cam Caddie professional stabilizing handle has the best universal compatibility as these cams are the best fit for it:
- Canon, Nikon and other DSLRs
- Mirrorless cameras
The large base of the body can adjust to different positions that help find the best balance for cams weighing up to 4.5lb.
The steady control feature comes handy when you want to move into and out of shots. This is achieved by the Neoprene grip. This material in a way absorbs any vibrations or shakiness from your hands. This then makes it steady while you shoot.
Professional filmmakers will enjoy the hot shoe feature. There is an additional accessory mount for you to connect your LED lights, microphone or a mini monitor.
The Flyer mode allows you to have more shooting styles. It moves the weight of your recording gear by allowing you to hold the Cam Caddie rather than the camera. You’re able to move it with no jerking motions.
You can alternatively activate the cage mode. You hold the Cam Caddie with two hands. This hand configuration is ideal for when you want to keep the frame focused. This comes in handy when you want a stabilized photo to capture. There is also a mount for you to add your own tripod.
- Easy setup: Attaching your shooting gear and/or tripod is easy.
- Comfortable grip: The handle is soft and comfortable to hold for hours.
- Secured base: Your cam is locked in place.
- Lightweight: The Cam Caddie is lightweight even with the camera and an additional accessory.
- Not Ideal for larger cams: The base and handle are too short for ordinary DSLR.
- Cumbersome construction: Parts can break off quickly.
- Stabilizing issues: The camera can jolt when you move it.
- Mountain screw not fixed: The mounting screw isn’t permanently attached to the Cam Caddie increasing the risk of it getting lost.
LanParte HHG-01 Motorized Brushless Gimbal for GoPro & Smartphones
Take this device if you want a stick that helps you make the best home movies with your Smartphone or GoPro. It costs less than $200 yet has the construction and offering of those in a higher price range.
The model is the best electronic way to move your Smartphone. The 3-axis motorized brushless gimbal tilts, roll and pans your Smartphone. You do this at a touch of a dial and not manually. This ensures your Smartphone or GoPro videos are seamless.
The stick has two Smartphones and one GoPro clamp all of which secures the shooting devices in place. These are adjustable vertically to fit larger phones or cams.You can operate the LanParte with only one hand. You can easily record when you walk, cycle or run.
An additional 6 axis inertial measurement unit is designed into the piece. This keeps your phone balanced and free from any shakes. This option is designed with a silica gel handle grip. It won’t slip through your hand keeping your phone secured. This handle is also comfortable to hold onto for hours.
The internal lithium-ion battery is removable and can be recharged within hours. When you don’t need to use the LanParte you can store it in the Ballistic nylon carry case that is included with the LanParte gimbal. The carry case will protect the gimbal from any deterioration caused by dust or weather.
- User-friendly: The 3-axis system is easy to use.
- Quality construction: The LanParte feels strong and looks durable.
- Good Stabilization: The holder remains sturdy even when you move a lot.
- Balancer versatility: You can add more counterweights to the LanParte to improve the balance.
- Rigid screws: The screws are almost stuck in place which makes it difficult to remove the clamps.
- Noisy: The brushless motor makes a noise when it moves.
- Poor balance: It’s difficult to balance the device with the pre-existing balancers.
- Not made for all phones: The clamp is too small for larger sized phones.
RetiCAM Heavy-Duty Tripod Mount with Hand Grip
What do you do when you want to take a far distance photograph of yourself and the background? You get the RetiCAM Smartphone Tripod stick.
The RetiCAM is made with strong steel for the phone mount and the grip. It has a reliable locking mechanism which gives you assurance your Smartphone won’t fall out when you take pictures. The tripod is completed with a strong finish which makes it completely scratch and rust resistant.
Most Android Smartphones and iPhones fit perfectly into the mount. If you have an Apple 6 Plus in its case you can also mount it onto the RetiCAM. The stabilization control is phenomenal even when you walk. You can move the tripod and it always keeps its focus on you. Because it’s a sturdy mount your videos will play back smooth. There won’t be any jolts.
Pick the RetiCAM if you want a simple carry on with your point and shoot cam when you travel. The RetiCAM also holds other accessories such as an external flashlight or LED video lights. Do you prefer vlogging with a camcorder? Then why not purchase this extremely lightweight tripod so you can document your life at any moment.
- Sturdy mount: Your phone is secured in the holder. Fast movements won’t cause it to loosen.
- Lightweight: You can carry the stick for hours and your arms won’t feel sore or tired.
- Adjustable holder: The holder is easily adjustable to the different size phones for better security.
- Universal mounts: You can add other extensions such as longer tripods and accessories.
- Poor handy grip: The grip handle has a strong smell which can transfer to your hand.
- Poor stabilizing feature: The holder can still shake resulting in unsmooth videos and slightly blurry pictures:
- Awkward holder position: You can only place your cell phone in landscape view and you can’t adjust it to portrait.
- Flimsy Lanyard: The lanyard can break off unexpectedly which can drop the shooting equipment.
Things to Consider Before Buying a Camera Stabilizer for DSLR, GoPro or Smartphone
It’s not an easy decision picking a stabilizer for yourself, is it? But we’re here to help. So let’s consider certain elements that determine which stabilizer is best for your photography setup.
Types of Stabilizers
It’s a handheld device that holds a steady and fluid moving motion. It’s not influenced by how the operator holds it, only by how it’s moved. These are designed for any type of cameras and video cams.
A gimbal is a device that allows the camera to rotate around the axis. The gimbal moves and tilts it in a smooth motion so it focuses on the subject.
These hang on your shoulders which offer the greatest support. Bodies are generally steadier than hands. This offers the best video stabilization results.
Materials used for Stabilizers
The materials used to construct the stabilizer is just as important. These materials often determine the durability of the product. The best types of stabilizers are made with aluminum or heavy duty plastics. These types of materials withstand any type of pressure and absorb impacts when the stabilizer has fallen.
Based on where you may carry the stabilizer you must also seek those that offer a comfortable feel:
- Anti-slip rubber on the handles: This helps you to have a comfortable grip on the handle
- Shoulder pads: This is ideal for when you have heavier equipment.
If you use your stabilizer the entire day you must consider ones that are made of carbon fiber. This material is lightweight which helps you to carry it around throughout the day.
You need to factor in the camera’s weight when you select a stabilizer. Weigh your camera and jot down its measurements too. When you compare between the different stabilizers, gimbals and Steadicams ensure they’re strong enough to hold the camera equipment.
Steadicams power your camera’s battery. Compare Steadicams on their ability to hold your camera without its battery for better accuracy.
Quick release feature
How quickly do you want your stabilizer to attach or detach from your camera? Sometimes the time of day is very important because it offers the best shots. You don’t want to lose that beautiful daylight because you’re setting up the camera.
The quick release feature wastes no time in attaching and detaching your camera. This feature also comes in handy when you need to remove it from the stabilizer to take a picture.
Balance is another important aspect to consider and it’s measured in terms of:
- How well it balances your camera
- How well you can balance it
The weight of the camera affects the balance. If it weighs more than the stabilizer it will then struggle to hold and have a perfect balance.
When your stabilizer is balanced it provides greater smoothness in what the camera records. Balanced stabilizers are better to control because you don’t have to keep repositioning it to get the angle right. Your job will then be easier.
Versatility is the characteristic that determines if other types of cameras can attach to the stabilizer. You need to consider which type of stabilizer you want based on your shooting style:
- Gimbals: Accommodates Smartphones and action cams
- DSLR gimbal stabilizers: Accommodates different sized cameras and different shooting styles