Undoubtedly, fresh spice brings life to a dish. It’s why spice grinders definitely have a place in passionate cook’s kitchen. A good spice and coffee grinder helps you make the most of your spices and unlock all that flavor.
There are a lot of electric spice grinders and hand spice grinders on the market now. So, to help you choose the best spice grinders from this bunch, we’ve done the research for you. Here are our top picks of the best spice grinders on the market.
- 1 Top-Rated Spice Grinders
- 2 Epica Spice & Coffee Grinder (TOP Choice)
- 3 KitchenAid BCG111OB Coffee Grinder (Best Value)
- 4 Quiseen One-Touch Electric Grinder
- 5 Golden Bell Small Spice Herb Grinder
- 6 Secura Coffee & Spice Grinder
- 7 Cuisinart SG-10 Spice and Nut Grinder
- 8 KRUPS GX4100
- 9 Bazaar Anatolia Turkish Hand Spice (Salt, Pepper) Grinder
- 10 DeLonghi DCG39 Electric Grinder
- 11 Blossom Manual Flax Seed and Grain Grinder Mill
- 12 Spice Grinders Buying Guide
Top-Rated Spice Grinders
Epica Spice & Coffee Grinder (TOP Choice)
This Spice and Coffee Grinder from Epica makes it to the top of our list for more than just power. It’s also because this spice grinder doesn’t leave a mess.
Featuring a clear lid and a detachable stainless steel cup, this grinder makes sure your spice doesn’t stick or stain. This makes it much better than plastic options. And while it has a stainless steel cup, you still get visibility of your ground’s consistency with the clear lid.
With this design, your grounds don’t stick to the cup and since it’s also detachable, pouring is easy. It’s an easy grind, easy clean and easy pour kitchen tool.
Safety wise, you can be sure your fingers are safe from injury as long as the lid is off. This grinder will only work when the lid secured, this designed feature helps avoid accidents. Meanwhile, it’s also easy to operate. A single press of its cover’s large button gets it started.
From your favorite coffee bean to seeds, the Epica Spice and Coffee Grinder give you consistent quality performance. Plus, it works silently while delivering quality uniformly ground spice and coffee with a maximum load weight of 70 grams. It’s sleek, lightweight and performs excellently, making this grinder our top choice.
- Well-designed body for easy to pour and clean. Featuring a removable stainless steel cup, the grounds don’t stick to cup and is easy to pour.
- Excellent safety feature. The grinder only activates with the lid on.
- Easy to maintain. Spare parts and extra blades are easily available for any needed replacements.
- Motor burnout concerns. Though possibly related to usage or quality control, some customers reported problems with motor burnout. It is best to follow instructions on grinding; the product’s 2-year warranty can also help.
KitchenAid BCG111OB Coffee Grinder (Best Value)
KitchenAid has made its name in kitchen equipment for years now. Now the brand delivers the same excellent quality with the BCG111OB Coffee Grinder.
Many users already like this grinder at first glance. It features a beautiful compact design and feels well-built. It looks both sturdy and powerful. But really, more than looks it performs well too.
The BCG111OB Coffee Grinder can grind both coffee and spices. Many users also appreciate how the unit comes with separate grinding bowls to use for coffee and spices separately. This means you keep the aroma and taste of each separate. Meanwhile, while this grinder can effectively grind a maximum of 340g, it requires a minimum of 113g for even grounds. We find that performance isn’t as good for anything less than this minimum weight.
Its rubber base keeps the unit sturdy as you grind while also controlling noise from vibration. However, despite this rubber base, some users feel the unit isn’t as quiet as advertised. However, this isn’t so concerning though since most users don’t expect the task to be quiet in the first place. Plus, the unit itself isn’t overly noisy.
When it comes to quality, the KitchenAid BCG111OB doesn’t come in the league of the pricier Burr or Maze grinders. It’s not designed to give you find grounds for an espresso. However, it does well on medium and coarse grinds. Moreover, considering it’s priced at about $20, you’re already getting great value.
- Great value for an affordable price. It’s an effective yet sturdy unit for less than a meal at McDonald’s.
- Durable and effective stainless steel blades. While not built to make fine espresso grounds, these blades are long lasting and give you good grounds.
- Sleek and compact design. It looks great and doesn’t take up too much space in your kitchen.
- Not made for espresso. Can’t perform fine grounds for espresso.
Quiseen One-Touch Electric Grinder
We like how it fits as a hand spice grinder because of its great grip body surface. It’s also easy to carry around or store with an onboard power-cord storage. It also features a see-through lid so you can grind to your desired consistency.
We also like how this grip surface gives it a stylish look. The black and the texture works well with a modern-themed kitchen. This grip feature also tends to be a rare design in the market of spice grinders.
Featuring sturdy sharp stainless steel blades, this unit serves multiple purposes. It can work as a spice mill, nuts grinder, seed grinder, spice blender and coffee grinder. It has enough power to grind to a powdered consistency. Note, however, that some customers find that it’s best to use a separate unit if you are going to use it for coffee. The grounds and aroma tend to stick to it. For its price, that shouldn’t be too much of a problem.
So whether you’re grinding up nuts, seeds, herbs or spices, this Quiseen grinder is an easy-to-use handy tool. However, it’s best to use it for coffee separately, unless you’re extra skilled in cleaning up.
- Stylish black grip body surface. Features a stylishly designed easy grip surface to avoid slipping.
- Multi-purpose unit. It can grind anything from coffee beans to nuts and seeds to a fine consistency.
- Coffee grounds tend to stick. It may be ideal to use it for coffee beans separate from other uses, as it tends to stick to the grinding cup.
Golden Bell Small Spice Herb Grinder
If you’re out looking specifically for small spice grinders, then you can’t miss this Spice Herb Grinder from Golden Bell. It’s probably the smallest one you can get. It’s cute and small enough to pass for a salt and pepper mill on the table. It only measures 2x2x1.6” and weighs less than 3 ounces. However, small as it may be it comes in a stylish design available in different colors.
While it’s a mini grinder, it features a smart design for an effective no mess grinding. Made of heavy-duty zinc alloy it’s made to last long. It also comes with 4pcs and three chambers designed for an effective grind. For its grinding mechanism, it has sharp diamond-shaped teeth that twist inside the chambers. Moreover, it has a mesh screen filter and scraper so even the finest grounds don’t get wasted. Meanwhile, its magnetized lid keeps it all inside, no spills.
It may be a manual hand spice grinder but it’s a very capable one. There are many video reviews showing just how well it performs and how easy it is to use. It doesn’t take too much effort either thanks to its Poly O-Ring that supports smooth easy grinding.
If you’re still not convinced to try it, you can worry less about their money-back-guarantee as well as a Lifetime warranty. That speaks volumes about the brand’s confidence in their product.
So whether you’re grinding cinnamon for your next Indian dish, or flax seeds for your smoothie, this little grinder is a handy tool.
- Small and portable yet effective. Small and stylish yet effectively grinds spices and herbs. It comes in a super portable size (fits your pocket) so you can easily carry it anywhere too.
- Comes in beautiful color choices. You can choose the best color to fit your style and preference.
- Clean and smooth grinding. Features a design that makes it easy to use while keeping your grounds inside avoiding waste.
- Lifetime warranty and money-back guarantee. You’re not really taking any risks on your purchase.
- Affordable price. Available for less than $10a piece.
- Nothing outstanding to note. What’s not to like right?
Secura Coffee & Spice Grinder
Looking for something with more versatility? We think this Secura Coffee and Spice Grinder from Secura could just be the right fix.
More than just a grinder, it also comes with a chopper bowl. Then you get a separate bowl for coffee and spice grinding. It’s great for chopping up nuts and veggies, or even chopping and grinding cinnamon sticks for your curry or masala. And while it has the power to do all that, its smart overheat-protection design keeps the motor from burning up. This means that you get a longer lasting motor too.
The unit also features two stainless-steel blades that effectively chop and grind to your desired consistency. They’re powerful enough to grind for a fine espresso. This means you get to use it to produce a wide range of consistency from fine to a rough chop. Many customers enjoy its versatility. It can work on hard nuts and seeds to other ingredients. Some have even gone as far as making coleslaw with it.
The Secura Coffee and Spice Grinder is also fairly small and weighs only 2.6lbs. This makes it easy to store and won’t take up so much space when in use. However, this means you capacity is small too. Small as it may be though, it’s quite sturdy. It features two stainless steel bowls and sleek steel casing. You’re not likely going to have replaced parts unless you lose them.
Safety-wise, this unit features a safety lock feature and starts with a single press button. Overall, it’s perfect kitchen tool for any home or restaurant. It’s easy to appreciate it for what it can do considering its price.
- A versatile kitchen tool. It’s a spice grinder, coffee grinder, nut grinder, crusher and chopper all in one.
- Sturdy and long-lasting. It features stainless steel pieces and an overheat-protection function for its motor.
- Compact and easy to use. It works in a single press of a button while also being small enough for easy storage.
- Not ideal for grinding bulk. You can’t grind a big batch of coffee or spices.
Cuisinart SG-10 Spice and Nut Grinder
Though it looks simple and straightforward, the Cuisinart SG-10 electric spice and nut grinder packs a lot of power. Featuring two durable stainless steel blades powered by a heavy-duty motor, it can grind up to a fine consistency. It’s effective in grinding up to 90grams of weight to your desired consistency within seconds.
Users have been successful in using it as a spice blender too. Some have been able to grind whole chilies, fenugreek, leaves, spices and anise for their spice mix. It makes an excellent tool if you love cooking spice demanding meals like Spanish or Indian food. The unit also features a removable bowl and lid for keeping any extra grounds or material for later. So any extras can easily be stored for later use.
Design wise, we like how easy it is to operate with a push-button lid. This also helps with safety. That, coupled with rubber feet keeps you from accidents and slip-ups. Moreover, it features an in-house cord storage for easy storage and dishwasher safe parts for easy cleaning.
Finally, users also appreciate its easy-to-read manual that includes recipes for some inspiration.
- Good safety features. Designed with a push-button lid lock and rubber bottom feet to keep it from sliding/slipping while in use.
- Compact yet powerful. Though small and simple, it’s powerful enough to grind whole spices and nuts.
- Easy to store and clean. It features an onboard cord storage and dishwasher safe parts.
- Quality consistency. Some customers received defective units that aren’t airtight at the base and a malfunctioning motor. This is at least covered by its one year warranty.
At first glance, the Krups GX4100 looks like the kind you see used in restaurants and cafes. It also has the capacity to support that much grinding as it can yield enough ground coffee for 15 cups.
Featuring a pulse-action button switch, you can grind your spices/coffee to your desired consistency from rough to fine. Meanwhile, while it’s a powerful machine (with a 140watt power) it features a lock-lid safety. This means it won’t operate unless the lid is properly locked closed.
Despite that power, the Krups GX4100 is also a quiet machine. You get evenly ground spice/coffee within seconds without making a ruckus. Moreover, the unit is easy to clean. Grounds don’t stick the surface, and you can easily wipe off debris from the blades and cup. The lid also cleans easily with a quick rinse. Storage-wise, you can keep the cords neat and tidy by rolling them around the onboard slot at the bottom.
Meanwhile, as you grind fresh leaves in spices, its airtight lid keeps all aromatic and taste benefits until use.
All this power comes housed in a brushed stainless steel metal body designed with black accents. It sports a professional look that also feels well-built and strong. While the unit has a high capacity and power, it comes at an affordable price and a 2-year warranty. This makes it a great buying choice.
- Sleek professional look. Designed with a brushed stainless steel body with black accents and larger capacity compared to others.
- Powerful yet safe. Though powered by a 120-watt power, it comes with a lid-lock safety feature.
- Easy to Clean and store. Debris doesn’t stick and power cord can be secured neatly through its designed bottom slot.
- Affordable price and good warranty coverage. Comes at a reasonable price for what it can offer while also covered by a 2-year warranty.
- Quality consistency. Some users received defective units that don’t perform as well in grinding.
Bazaar Anatolia Turkish Hand Spice (Salt, Pepper) Grinder
There is a romantic and artisan feel to this grinder’s vintage design. It’s one that will definitely look great on your kitchen or coffee bar. If you’re one who enjoys the task of manually grinding your spices you’ll love this manual Bazaar Anatolia Turkish Hand Spice Grinder.
Note, however, that unlike those automatic burr grinders, this manual grinder tends to be limited in versatility. Meanwhile, if you’re one who appreciates the beauty of it all, this piece is one you’ll appreciate.
The body features a traditional Ottoman pattern and a detachable handle. Its body is well crafted and feels strong. Each piece is handcrafted from a mix of brass and zinc material (or Zamak) with hand-carved patterns.
Meanwhile, it works great on spices as it grounds using ridged burrs that produce an even consistency. You can also opt to use it to grind coffee though would need to be ready to put in more effort for a fine ground.
While beautiful as it may be, this piece isn’t designed to grind a lot. It has the capacity enough for a cup of coffee. However, you are sure to get evenly ground results with some effort depending on how fine you’d like it to be.
More than its power, many customers appreciate the workmanship on each piece. They love the hand-carved design. Plus, it’s built to last.
- Strong and sturdy handcrafted body. Crafted from Zamak, each unit is built to last.
- Exquisite design. Many appreciate it for the workmanship more than its simple functionality.
- Produces even results. Its ridged burrs produce even grounds.
- Requires effort for a fine ground. Since it’s a manual grinder, you have to be willing to put in some effort for finer results.
- Low capacity. It’s only capable of producing enough for a cup of coffee.
DeLonghi DCG39 Electric Grinder
DeLonghi DCG39 burr electric grinder stands-out with classy roots hailing from Italy. It comes from an Italian brand with a reputation for high-class kitchen tools.
The Delonghi DCG39 definitely has a classy appeal in design. It moves away from your usual cylindrical shaped grinder already setting itself apart. Moreover, its brushed stainless steel finish gives it a fine look.
Meanwhile, with its burr grinding wheel, you’re sure to get even ground with the consistency you prefer. It also has preset options you can choose from to grind between fine to medium and course. Moreover, it has the capacity to produce grounds good for 4 to 12 cups of coffee. You can set the quantity through its designed knob. Grounds are then pushed to its transparent container for easy transfer/pouring.
Safety wise, the unit doesn’t operate when either the lid or ground container is not in place. This means no spills and accidents. Moreover, despite that power and capacity, the Delonghi DCG39 is a relatively quiet machine. You’re not likely to disturb a roommate if you’re grinding a cup for a late nightcap.
A high-class machine means a high-class price though; at about $60 this can be intimidating for some.
- No more pulsing and guessing for your desired consistency. The unit comes with preset options you can choose from for consistency from fine, course and medium.
- High capacity with options. While it can produce for as much as 12 cups of coffee, you can also choose between set quantity options through its dial knob.
- Dual safety feature. The machine doesn’t operate unless both the lid and ground container are in place.
- Expensive. As it is a classy piece of equipment from a reputable Italian brand, you can expect it to come at a higher cost.
- Not ideal for fine pressed coffee (i.e. Espresso). This model isn’t designed to produce coffee ground fine enough for espresso.
Blossom Manual Flax Seed and Grain Grinder Mill
Flax seeds are a wonderful source of many nutritional benefits. However, eaten whole, our body can’t really absorb its nutrients, hence the need for grinding/crushing. With the Blossom’s ceramic seed grinding mechanism you’re sure to get the most of each seed.
Unlike high-speed grinders, the Blossom Manual Flax Seed and Grain Grinder Mill are designed to carefully grind flax seed and grains without overheating. This is considering Flax Seed oil oxidizes at a fast rate and is sensitive to heat. Whether you grind dry or wet, this mill works well either way.
With this mill, a simple twist gets you a good amount of evenly ground flax seeds/spices/grains. Moreover, since it features ceramic parts it doesn’t rust and has an alkalizing effect on the produce. This mechanism is then housed in a BPA-free polycarbonate body with a simple design.
Grounds are also easy to pour/transfer with this mill as its bottom latch automatically opens and closes. As soon as you stop grinding the bottom closes so you don’t wind up with excess grounds outside your bowl/plate.
You can directly grind the seeds on top of your cereal, yogurt, smoothie, or however, you plan to consume it. You can also easily get a high output (about a tablespoon) in less than 30 seconds. See, compared to other flax seed grinders it produces a lot more with the same amount of effort and time.
- The ceramic mechanism provides benefits. Its unique design results in high output while also having an alkalizing effect on produce.
- No mess grinding. Its bottom is designed to close once grinding is finished.
- Simple design and easy to use. A few seconds of twisting gets you the output you need.
- Affordable price. Comes at a cheap price.
- Limited functionality. The mill is specifically designed for flax seeds and grains similar in consistency and size.
Spice Grinders Buying Guide
If you have a passion for taste and health, then you probably won’t be satisfied with pre-ground spices from the market. There is, undoubtedly, a marginal difference in aroma, taste and effect of spices that are freshly ground right before use.
Need help deciding which ones to buy? Here are a few things to consider:
If you tend to be the only person in the household who likes freshly ground coffee or spices, or if you live alone, you probably won’t need as much. This means a grinder/mill’s capacity may not be as important to you. Perhaps a grinder that can produce enough for a cup of Joe will do.
However, it’s different if you find that you often have guests over for coffee, or have to grind for a full household. In this case, you may need a grinder that can produce more. You may also want to consider an electric grinder over a manual one in this case. That’s considering manual ones take more time and effort to produce in bulk.
Motors can burnout over too much use, and manual grinders can be a hassle when you have to grind often. Considering how often you need to use your grinder, you may want to make sure your chosen model can work with your grinding habits. Something that doesn’t overheat, lasts long and is easy to use. A good warranty coverage also helps ensure you have a good investment.
Meanwhile, if grinding spices or coffee isn’t a regular thing, you may find more benefit a manual or budget grinder. This means avoiding unnecessary spending too.
If you’re someone who is often in a rush, you’ll probably be best with a grinder that works at the same speed. We’ve featured grinders on our list that can get you a good amount in a matter of 10 seconds.
Meanwhile, if grinding is part of your art, and you enjoy the artisan feel of the preparation of coffee or spices, try something else. We’ve featured beautiful unique grinders on our list that may just fit into your romance. Most of them involve you in the manual grinding of your chosen product. Meanwhile, their mechanism is embodied is tastefully crafted bodies to fit your style.
There are grinders that tend to work better on coffee than others, some that are multi-purpose and some specific to grains. Depending on the type of product, you are more likely to use it for you may want to choose a grinder that does well with it.
For example, you may end up buying a multi-purpose grinder but end up only using it for coffee. Then you may have been better off with a grinder that’s powerful enough for a fine espresso right?
Overall, it all depends on your habits and preference. The best one for another may not be the best for you.
Meanwhile, after considering all this and looking at a lot of different grinders on the market, we feel we’ve chosen the best. Our list also covers a wide variety to fit these different needs, preferences and habits. Hopefully, our picks help you choose the best one for your personal needs.