When it comes to choosing products for entertainment we all become specific and go deep into the specifications and features. There are so many portable DVD players for your homes, cars, picnics and places available on the market. And sensing this need of the hour we have brought to you the comparison among the best portable DVD players 2018 including car headrest DVD player, dual screen portable DVD player, twin mobile DVD player and many more.
- 1 Comparison of the Top-Rated Portable DVD Players
- 2 DBPOWER 9.5-Inch Portable DVD Player with USB Port
- 3 Sylvania SDVD7040B-Black 7-Inch Portable DVD Player
- 4 Docooler 10.1 Inches Swivel Screen Player
- 5 Ematic 7 inch with Headphones
- 6 Sylvania 9-Inch Screen Portable Player with Rechargeable Battery
- 7 NAVISKAUTO 10.1 Inch TFT LCD Ultra-thin Car Headrest
- 8 Sylvania 10.1″ Dual Screen
- 9 Sylvania 7-Inch Twin Mobile Dual DVD Player
- 10 RCA Portable – 7″ Display
- 11 Sony BDPSX910 Portable Blu-ray Player
- 12 Accessory | In-Car Portable DVD Player Travel Display Case
- 13 What is a Portable DVD Player?
- 13.1 What Features Should You Look For in Portable DVD Players?
- 13.2 Final thoughts
- 13.3 amzn_assoc_placement = "adunit0"; amzn_assoc_search_bar = "false"; amzn_assoc_tracking_id = "cloodjo-20"; amzn_assoc_ad_mode = "search"; amzn_assoc_ad_type = "smart"; amzn_assoc_marketplace = "amazon"; amzn_assoc_region = "US"; amzn_assoc_title = ""; amzn_assoc_default_search_phrase = "Portable DVD Players"; amzn_assoc_default_category = "All"; amzn_assoc_linkid = "6cefbed1ad6d04aa7f81271f93e50f5e";
Comparison of the Top-Rated Portable DVD Players
DBPOWER 9.5-Inch Portable DVD Player with USB Port
This shock resistant and 360 degrees rotatable model is amongst the best swivel screen portable DVD players rolling on the market. Having an extended battery life of over 5 hours, this cheap device comes with USB port and SD card reader. Being compatible with various formats including CD, DVD, VCD, MP3, WMA, VOB, AVI and counting, this player is affordable as well as most popular among the movie lovers and is liked by all. It is one of the best portable products which is a perfect fit for your homes, restaurants, cars etc.
- Excellent 2500mAh rechargeable lithium-ion battery.
- Provides up to 5 hours of continuous play time with longest battery life.
- AC Power and car charger.
- Works with numerous multimedia formats including DVD, CD, VCD, SVCD, CD-R/RW, DVD -R/+R, DVD+RW/-RW.
- Works with SD cards and USB for MP3/WMA/WAV, JPEG, MPEG2/AVI/DIVX.
- AV input and output to play on the TV. Supports two AV connections simultaneously.
- Stores point at which you stop watching to resume later (last memory function).
- Remote control included.
- Comes with gaming handset.
- Durable design.
- Remote control not user-friendly.
- Plastic hinge is not the most durable design.
This comes with everything you need for excellent entailment and is ideal for kids. It is well constructed and has all the features one would need.
Sylvania SDVD7040B-Black 7-Inch Portable DVD Player
This top-rated portable Sylvania player is 7” wide and comes with a 16:9 TFT color display. The player comes with rechargeable battery and is available with an AC/DC power charger. Built-in stereo speakers to give you a perfect sound effect while you enjoy your favorite movie, song or any other video. Concluding from the various consumer reports the model is said to have a high-quality screen resolution and comes with a thin body to carry it everywhere easily.
- Great price.
- Swivel screen.
- 7” widescreen 16:9 TFT color display.
- Stereo speakers.
- AC/DC charger.
- Compact and lightweight – one of the smallest players.
- Video out.
- Plays DVDs, CDs, JPEGS and MP3.
- Remote control.
- 90-day money back guarantee.
- Battery life not great (around 2 hours).
- No earphones.
- Low volume.
This compact and versatile portable DVD player is a great option for a range of applications. It supports multiple formats and is a well-priced choice.
Docooler 10.1 Inches Swivel Screen Player
Gotta go out while watching a movie and feeling sad for starting it from the beginning all over again when you come back? This player is available with movie resuming properties and has dual 2W speakers to give you a perfect stereo sound quality. Taking care of your eyes, it has a screen pixel of 1024*600 which is a high-resolution ratio to provide you that perfect smooth. The big and large operational button is very light and easy to use and also is stain resistant to keep your belonging well maintained.
- Great high-resolution screen – 1024*600 pixels – easy on the eyes.
- Supports multiple formats including DVD, Picture CD, CD, MP3, MP4, MP5, SVCD, VCD, DVCD, CD-R/W, DVD-R/W and HDCD.
- Gamepad connectivity.
- Outstanding screen rotation axis that will keep going for years.
- Remote included.
- User-friendly device.
- Poor sound quality without headphones.
- Not the greatest battery life.
The Docooler 10.1 is a portable device and durable enough for even the rowdiest kids and will give them great entertainment while you travel.
Ematic 7 inch with Headphones
It is a good portable model with 7-inch width and tilts as well as swivels up to 180 degrees for a great viewing experience. A deluxe bag to carry your device safe and a multi-language screen display. This player has it all to make it your best choice. The built-in rechargeable lithium-ion battery is easy to be recharged with its AC/DC power adapter and hence making it tension free for the customers to, again and again, replace the batteries to keep it going.
- 7” display with a 180-degree swivel.
- Headphones included.
- Handy carry case.
- Compact DVD-player.
- Lightweight unit.
- Durable portable DVD-player.
- Good Lithium-Ion battery, up to 5 hours use.
- AC/DC charger.
- Supports PAL and NTSC.
- Multi-language display.
- No remote.
With multi-language display and many useful accessories, this is a handy portable mini DVD-player. It is also amongst the lightest, making it great for easy portability.
Sylvania 9-Inch Screen Portable Player with Rechargeable Battery
Play your favorite movies and videos on this 9-Inch Swivel Screen with a 5 hour extended battery life and watch them break free anywhere and everywhere. Working great with various formats like DVD, DVD-R, VCD, MP3, CD, MPEG4 etc, the player comes with headphones, audio output for stereo, remote control and a car adapter. While it says it is portable it also says to be anti-shock to keep relaxed while traveling. With a built-in USB port and SD card slot the product is all set to play your movies present in the cards.
- 9-inch color TFT display.
- 180-degree swivel.
- Supports DVD, DVD+/-RW, CD, CD-R/RW and MP3.
- Stereo earphones.
- Carry case included.
- AC and car charger.
- USB slot for MPEG4 videos, MP3 music or JPEG photos.
- Lithium polymer battery.
- Attaches with car straps.
- Remote control.
- Poor sound volume/audio output.
The Sylvania 9-Inch has an outstanding 5-hour battery life and is the ideal traveling companion for hours of entertainment. The large quality screen also allows for a great viewing experience.
NAVISKAUTO 10.1 Inch TFT LCD Ultra-thin Car Headrest
To keep it easily placed it in your car the player comes with two mounting brackets and also its removable design is suitable for both car and home. This specially designed and the developed player comes with a built-in 2.0 USB port and SD card slot and full features to play your favorite video games too. As the name itself suggests that it is more for a car, the LCD player comes with a weight of just 4 pounds and that is it; go for it. When the best brands come at the best price and good quality, they are highly recommended for their cost and get good review altogether.
- 10.1 inch Digital TFT LCD Screen (Hitachi lens) – one of the biggest screen size for a portable DVD player.
- Aspect ratio: 16:9.
- Built-in 2.0 USB port/SD/MMC card slot.
- Build-in IR/FM/Speaker.
- Built in HDMI Input Port.
- Earphone jack/DC 12V input.
- Compatible with DVD/VCD/CD-R/CD-RW/SVCD/DIVX.
- Multi-language OSD.
- 2 way AV input (1*RCA+1*3.5mm) / 2 way AV output(1*RCA+1*3.5mm).
- Reports of skipping during playback.
- Poor sound output (speakers at the rear of unit).
This versatile portable DVD player supports multiple formats on a high-quality screen. It attaches snugly for in-car use, perfect entertain on those long trips.
Sylvania 10.1″ Dual Screen
Yet another one with 2 headrest mounting straps for your entertainment quotient in the car. Being remote control accessible, this wireless model is easily usable at home too while you sit back and relax on your sofa and operate it. It comes with accessories like a Car and AC adapter, AV cable, USB and SD card reader and a built-in charger to keep you free from the tension of finding replaceable batteries door to door. The 10.1-inch screen will give a perfect sight of the movies and videos you are watching. Play two different DVDs or watch the same one on both screens. Twin mobile DVD players with seven-inch LCD displays. This dual screen portable model is a must buy this season.
- Supports multiple playback formats.
- 10″ widescreen TFT display.
- Dual-screen design.
- Headphone jack in each unit.
- USB/SD card slots.
- Stereo audio and AV outputs.
- A rechargeable battery in the main unit.
- Remote control.
- 2x Earbuds.
- DC to DC connection cable.
- Car cord & AC adapter.
- AV cable.
- 2x Headrest mounting straps.
- Reports of skipping during playback.
- Has been reports of technical issues with the unit.
You can view the same DVD or separate content on each screen for excellent entertainment on the go.
Sylvania 7-Inch Twin Mobile Dual DVD Player
With built-in speakers for both the units may it be AV or jacks this option is loved by all and for all places may it be homes, cars or outside. To keep you everywhere at the safer side the product comes with two sets of AC power adapters, two remote controls, two car power adapters and headrest mounting. Being compatible with DVD, DVD+-R/RW, CD, CD-R/RW, MP-3 and JPEG the Sylvania is leading like a king and has itself become a brand in the list of players. This mobile model works with Bluetooth too and already in your budget to choose it.
- Play two different DVDs or watch the same one on both screens.
- Built-in speaker on both units.
- AV and headphone jacks.
- DVD, DVD+-R/RW, CD, CD-R/RW, MP-3 and JPEG Compatible.
- Includes two AC power adapters.
- Remote controls.
- Two car power adapters.
- Headrest mounting kits.
- Suitable for children.
- Reports of the plastic straps being too weak.
- Durability issues.
This nifty dual screen portable DVD is the ideal companion for long trips or entertaining the kids. The long battery life ensures hours of entertainment.
RCA Portable – 7″ Display
With a screen size of 7 inches and weighing around 2.2 pounds, this Rca portable model is ahead of many portable players standing on the market. In the race of the under $100 DVD players, these players come out to be the best when it comes to making a choice of buying this product. With a great rating and also great customer reviews you will be in a not to miss deal situation for this one. It has already taken the DVD system ahead for the in-car portable DVD player.
- Widescreen Display.
- Pictures & sound quality.
- Built-in Rechargeable Battery.
- Built-in Speaker.
- Car and AC Adapters.
- Audio/video Output Jacks.
- Reports of freezing.
- Only plays copyrighted material.
Quality materials and a great design are the hallmarks of this feature-rich portable DVD player. It is a top seller that is highly rated by consumers.
Sony BDPSX910 Portable Blu-ray Player
This Blu-Ray comes a notch above most of the competition. It sports a high resolution 9” (22.8cm) widescreen LCD with 180-degree rotation. A generous 4. 5 hours of battery life will keep you enjoying the 1080p HD viewing for some time. This one of the most highly rated portable DVD players on the market.
It is portable and lightweight meaning you can enjoy it on the go. HDML and USB ports give you a number of additional options enjoy HD quality anywhere anytime.
Remote control or touch screen buttons give you plenty of control and this player is suitable for a host of video and audio applications. This great portable Blu-ray player has a lot to offer for the whole family or is ideal for individual use. If the many positive ratings are anything to go by, this is a solid choice.
- 4.5 hours battery life.
- USB port for content.
- 9-inch high-resolution display.
- High definition DVD players.
- Remote control.
- AC and car charger.
- Multiple format player.
- Great compatibility.
- WVGA (800 x 480) Resolution.
- 1080p/24 Output.
- 180-degree swivel/flip screen.
- Headphone Output.
- HDMI output.
- Convenient touch key controls.
- Sound ok but not great.
- Slightly pricey.
- Somewhat bulky and heavy.
- Only one headphone jack.
- Reports of errors reading disks.
While you might pay a bit more for this portable DVD player, you will get your money’s worth. The high-resolution display is hard to compare with similar products and the battery life is generous. The HDMI output also comes in extremely handy and it is great to use with TVs.
Accessory | In-Car Portable DVD Player Travel Display Case
Loved and liked immensely by the managed people this player comes with a bag including custom compartments for power cords, cables, headphones, DVD cases and lots more. The bag not only keeps the things managed but also keeps them safe and secure while you travel. Coming with a detachable shoulder strap this can also conveniently be carried in the hand of those who like it this way. Can be a lovely gift for the backseat passengers and you can easily make their journey and memorable and exciting one. The product comes with a 3-year manufacturer warranty.
- Headrest Mounting.
- Can be shared between seats.
- Includes a carry strap.
- Thickly padded.
- Durable portable model.
- Ideal for kids and toddlers.
- Multipurpose function.
- 3-year warranty.
- Reports of inadequate securing straps.
- Not much room for extras.
What is a Portable DVD Player?
A portable DVD player is a fairly lightweight and compact DVD payer that is battery operated and has its own screen. It is great for traveling, road trips or anytime you need to view DVDs or other media content away from the home or office. Many support additional features.
What Features Should You Look For in Portable DVD Players?
There is a range of DVD players depending on your requirements. While many consider the compact handled player to be the main option, there are a few others. They fall into the following categories.
- In-dash DVD-players
- Headrest DVD-players
- Flip down DVD-players
- Rearview mirror DVD-players
- Portable DVD-players
Depending on your needs, these can work perfectly as a personal model or in car or truck use. While you co-driver is at the wheel, take a break from the drive and enjoy a bit of entertainment. Many of these are versatile and can be used for multiple functions. They are small and battery powered. They can be charged on AC power or car chargers so power is never an issue.
Features to consider:
Screen. Most portable DVD players have an LCD or LED screen and range in size from around 18 to 30cm. An important feature is that the screen can swivel for optimal viewing.
Battery Life. Most will come with car chargers but depend on where you are using the DVD player you want a decent battery life. A good few hours is what you want at a minimum.
Interface, Compatibility and Media Type. Not all portable DVD players are created equal and some are limited in the formats and media they are able to play. Consider the media you wish to use it for and select accordingly.
Mounting Straps. These are handy for in-car use and other applications.
Video & Audio. The whole point of the portable DVD is to provide quality video and audio. In general, you will get what you pay for. Some entry-level model are fair entertainment for kids on a road trip but will frustrate the average viewer. Audio volume and quality is also an issue with many entry-level models.
Anti-Skip. If you intend to use the DVD player on the road ensure it is not prone to skipping as this will make the experience most frustrating.
Formats played. Many people have been caught out by purchasing DVD players that will only play a specific format. This is most frustrating if you have DVDs that are in a different format, a common issue.
Audio-Video Connector. This handy feature will allow you to connect your portable player to a television if you want to watch on a bigger screen. This feature is particularly useful if you are traveling and staying in a hotel.
Durability. Being a portable device, the DVD will suffer a few knocks and bangs along the way. This is especially true if it is for your children. Even attached to the back of a car seat, it will be exposed to the odd grubby finger or bumps and bangs. Go for a robust DVD player that will withstand the knocks and falls.
Media formats and connectivity. The key here is the more the merrier. While some you might not need right now, you never know when you or the kids want to play something with a different format or connect to a new device. Rather future proof your purchase and go for one with as many options as possible.
Size. As this is a portable device that you want to carry with you, you do not want one that is too bulky. While most are a reasonable size, some are bulkier than others while many are ultra-compact. Consider this when making your purchase especially if you wish to take it with you on travels.
Virtual Surround Sound. A great feature if you want a rich and realistic viewing or audio experience.
Budget. As with any purchase, you will have to consider your budget. DVD players range from relatively inexpensive to rather costly. Decide on the features and specifications and decide accordingly. Avoid going for the real low budget, inexpensive options as they are bound to frustrate and disappoint you.
Airplane use. Although many airlines have great in-flight entertainment these days, some do not. You might also prefer to have your own content that you wish to view when flying. If you want a portable DVD player for flying, go for a compact handheld option that will be easy to fit in your carry-on luggage.
Although a portable DVD is not the most expensive equipment you will purchase, it will still set you back a good dew dollars. No one wants to waste money any buy something that will disappoint. The above guide highlight all the important factors you need to consider when making your purchase according to your needs and requirements.
Take a bit of time to read up on the pros on cons of each model to see which will suit your requirements so that you are sure you get one that does what you need from it. A portable DVD player is a valuable and entertaining device if you get the right one. It will give you years of entertainment.