Convection microwaves are basically a two-for-one deal. They combine the functionality of microwave and convection ovens. They offer higher cooking temperatures than standard microwaves while having a more compact design than most convection ovens. This makes them suitable for smaller kitchens, trailers, or apartments.
Microwave ovens allow you to quickly and efficiently cook large roasts, pizza, and pastries. However, are not suitable for baking cakes. With oven temperatures of up to 240°C, they can also be used to cook brownies or to reheat food items. They preheat quickly and do not use as much electricity as most ovens.
Here are 10 convection microwave reviews for your consideration:
- 1 Top-Rated Convection Microwaves
- 2 Emerson MWCG1584SB Stainless Steel Convection Microwave (TOP Choice)
- 3 Cuisinart CMW-200 1.2-Cubic-Foot Small Convection Microwave Oven with Grill (Best Value)
- 4 Toshiba EC042A5C-BS
- 5 Sharp R1874T 850W Over-the-Range Convection Microwave
- 6 Samsung MC12J8035CT Countertop Convection Microwave
- 7 Samsung MC11K7035CG
- 8 GE PSA9120SFSS Profile Advantium
- 9 Sharp SMC1585BW Microwave Oven with Convection Cooking
- 10 Farberware Gourmet FMO10AHSBKA /Convection Function
- 11 Panasonic NE-1054F
- 12 Convection Microwave Ovens Buying Guide
Top-Rated Convection Microwaves
Emerson MWCG1584SB Stainless Steel Convection Microwave (TOP Choice)
The Emerson MWCG1584SB is one of the best convection microwaves in terms of functionality and value for money. It comes with a stately design, 1.5 cubic foot capacity and a relatively high wattage (1000 watts). It measures at 13 x 21.8 x 21.7 inches and weighs 48.4 pounds (21.9 kg).
As with the other models on this list, its convection functionality allows you to roast or bake pastries and meats via a uniform circulation of hot air.
- Variety. It comes in five subtly differing finishes. You can opt for a black cabinet with a silver finish, black with gray, black with stainless steel trim, black with stainless steel, or stainless steel with black.
- Size. It has a relatively large turning table size (345mm), which can accommodate larger dishes.
- Easy to clean. The turntable is made from lightweight glass. It can be easily removed and cleaned.
- Ease of use. It comes with 11 power levels and 9 helpful cooking presets. You do not have to think twice when cooking popcorn or frozen vegetables. Just hit the correct button! Likewise, it has a handy time and weight defrost feature that saves your brainpower for other tasks. Simply input the weight of the food, and this smart oven will automatically configure an optimal defrosting time and power level.
- Childproof. Use the lockout function to keep your children safe while you are away.
- Versatility. Use the removable grill rack and the grill feature instead of trying to provide healthier food options for your family.
- Affordability. At under $300 from Amazon, this is one of the cheapest options (with some of the best ratings) amongst these convection microwave reviews.
- Warranty. You have to pay an additional $15.024 for 4-Year Protection or an additional $4.58 for 2-Year Protection.
Cuisinart CMW-200 1.2-Cubic-Foot Small Convection Microwave Oven with Grill (Best Value)
The Cuisinart CMW-200 is a silver countertop microwave and convection oven that claims to be the “ultimate combination of size, style and smarts.” It measures at 19 x 12.2 x 21.2 inches and weighs 38 pounds (17.2 kg). Despite being the lightest and most portable option here, it has a relatively large capacity (1.2 cubic feet). This microwave convection oven combo comes with top-notch convection baking abilities. You can cook within a shorter period of time while enjoying the delicious benefits of consistent heating.
- Stylish. The CMW-200 has a cabinet made of brushed stainless steel (with an embossed Cuisinart logo) and a dark tinted glass window. Its stainless steel interior provides style and functionality by being easy to clean.
- Versatility. You have 9 preset options (Popcorn, Potato, Beverage, Reheat, Fresh Vegetable, Frozen Vegetable, Roast Chicken, Cake and Pizza) and 8 cooking functions (Microwave, Convection, Convection Roast, Convection Fast bake, Grill/Combo, Keep Warm, Defrost, Memory) at your disposal. You can bake or roast without relying on the microwave function.
- Accessories. It comes with a rotating 12″ glass tray, a reversible grill rack, and a recipe booklet.
- Warranty. It comes with a 3-year limited warranty.
- Affordability. At under $200 from Amazon, this top-rated convection microwave is certainly a value for money proposition.
- Space requirements. Its large size comes with a downside: you have to ensure that your kitchen has enough room for it. Countertop convection microwaves emit large amounts of heat, so you have to make sure there is ample space above and around it.
The Toshiba EC042A5C-BS is a large stainless steel countertop convection microwave. It has a capacity of 1.5 cubic feet and wattage of 1,000 watts. It measures at 21.7 x 21.4 x 12.8 inches and weighs 44.8 pounds (20.3 kg). This full-featured countertop microwave and convection oven allow you the best of both worlds. Bake, cook or reheat meals efficiently with either (or both) functions (convection oven and microwave).
- Elegance. With a shiny black stainless steel exterior and stainless steel interior, it will provide visual appeal to any kitchen.
- Versatility. The pre-programmed sensor menu allows you to optimally heat popular food items like pizza, potatoes, and vegetables. There are four auto functions for both bake and roast. Auto-Bake includes frozen pizza, muffins, dinner rolls, and frozen fries. Auto Roast has weight adjustments and makes it easy to cook beef, whole chicken, turkey breasts, and pork.
- Ease of use. Use the digital control panel (with interior LED lighting) to easily set your cooking requirements. The Toshiba EC042A5C-BS offers convection cooking from 175 to 425 degrees. There are 10 power levels altogether. You can program up to three of your favorite time and power combinations for easy access.
- One-Touch Start function. By simply pressing the number of cooking minutes, you can turn the microwave one at 100% power for between one to six minutes. Press the Start button to add 30 seconds of cooking time, or the Stop button when you are done.
- Easy to clean. The stainless steel interior and 13.6-inch diameter glass turntable can be easily cleaned with a damp cloth. You can also remove the turntable from the microwave and clean it thoroughly with hot water and soap.
- Accessories. It comes with a docking station, combination tool, crevice tool, mini motorized tool, and soft dusting brush.
- Affordability. At just under $200, this is one of the cheapest countertop convection microwave ovens on this list.
- Warranty. You have to pay an additional $31.14 for 4-Year Protection or an additional $10.38 for 3-Year Protection.
Sharp R1874T 850W Over-the-Range Convection Microwave
The Sharp R1874T is an over-the-range (OTR) microwave and convection model. It has a wattage of 850W and a capacity of 1.1 cubic feet. It measures at 29.9 x 16.3 x 15.3 inches and weighs 72 pounds (32.6 kg).
- Versatility. While it is not one of the best convection microwaves on this list, The Sharp R1874T performs reasonably well in terms of heating, defrosting, baking, and roasting.
- Ease of use. The Smart and Easy sensor settings and 2-color, 7-digit interactive display make your life easy as you bake, roast, boil, defrost and reheat. Meanwhile, the 13-inch turntable provides even heating for moderately large items.
- Extra features. It comes with a powerful fan (that causes a fair amount of noise while in use), a good light, and a built-in exhaust system. Low and high racks are included.
- Warranty. This good convection microwave oven comes with a 10-year warranty on major components.
- Aesthetics. The stainless steel design is certainly functional, but it lacks the elegance and polish of some of its more aesthetically appealing competitors.
- Small interior. This small convection microwave has a rather deceptive bulky exterior, as its interior is only 1.1 cubic feet in size.
- Affordability. While a price below $600 is fairly affordable for an over-the-range model, this makes it far more expensive than the other countertop convection microwave ovens on this list.
Samsung MC12J8035CT Countertop Convection Microwave
With a wattage of 1600W and voltage of 120 volts, the Samsung MC12J8035CT packs immense cooking power in its black and stainless steel design. This countertop convection microwave has a capacity of 1.2 cubic feet, measures at 18.5 x 20.8 x 15.9 inches and weighs 62.8 pounds (28.5 kg).
- Intense cooking power. The Samsung MC12J8035CT features power convection technology that assists traditional convection cooking with powerful hot air from the air hole in the interior roof and the side fan. This distributes the heat evenly through the oven, allowing you to cook 30 percent faster without suffering from pastries or cakes that are not cooked evenly. The grill function boasts even more power (the upper limit is 1,600 watts) while working to ensure that your food is crispy on the outside without being dry on the inside. This is one of the best convection microwaves here in terms of cooking power.
- Healthy versatility. The “Slim Fry” technology features eight preprogrammed automatic frying settings. This allows you to cook food without adding oil (and thus less fat) while enjoying the tastiness of fried foods.
- Easy to clean. The ceramic enamel interior is scratch-resistant and easy to clean. You can remove grease or oil without much hassle while protecting it from the wear and tear inflicted by everyday use. The accompanying round rack and ceramic plate are also easy to clean.
- Easy to use.The glass touch controls are easy on the eye while being user-friendly. Opt between nine preset cooking options to swiftly and efficiently cook a wide variety of dishes.
- Ease of conversion. By purchasing the Samsung Trim Kit (this is sold separately), you can install your Samsung Power Convection Countertop Microwave on your wall or within your cabinet.
- Warranty. This good convection microwave oven comes with a 1-year limited warranty.
- Affordability. At just under $500, this is one of the more expensive countertop convection microwave ovens on this list.
The Samsung MC11K7035CG comes in a minimalist black stainless steel drop-down door design. It measures at 20.5 x 19.9 x 12.1 inches and weighs 44.1 pounds (20 kg). It packs an intense grilling power 1300W within a relatively small cooking space of 1.1 cubic feet.
- Cooking power. Its Power Convection functionality allows it cook at a faster rate without sacrificing the oven-quality even cooking results you desire. The interior fan distributes the heat emitted by the powerful hot air streaming from above. Meanwhile, its Power Grill feature utilizes a direct grilling element to provide 1300W of cooking power. Defrosting, heating, toasting and cooking your favorite dishes to a crisp will not be an issue for this countertop convection microwave.
- Healthy versatility. Like the Samsung MC12J8035CT, the MC11K7035CG comes with Samsung’s Slim Fry” technology. This includes eight preprogrammed automatic frying settings. You can thus enjoy the taste of fried foods without the added oil and fat.
- Easy to clean. The ceramic enamel interior has a porcelain-like coating that makes it resistant to scratches while being easy to clean.
- Easy to use. Use the sleek LED display panel to choose between the different cooking presets available.
- Safe and eco-friendly. Use the child safety lock and Eco Mode to protect your children and the environment.
- Accessories. It comes with a ceramic plate and a grilling rack.
- Warranty. It comes with a 1-year limited warranty.
- Affordability. At just under $300, this good convection microwave oven is one of the more expensive options on this list.
GE PSA9120SFSS Profile Advantium
The GE (General Electric) Profile PSA9120SFSS is a stainless steel over the range microwave plus convection oven with Advantium® Technology. (Advantium refers to GE’s line of fast-cooking electric ovens for domestic use. They rely on halogen lamps and microwave energy, either separately or together). With a capacity of 1.7 cubic feet, it is easily one of the largest top-rated convection microwave ovens on this list. It measures at 33.4 x 20.1 x 19 inches and weighs 93.7 pounds (42.5 kg).
- Cooking power. The Speedcook oven feature allows you to cook two to four times faster than a conventional oven. With the nearly instantaneous Halogen Heat function, you can save time by preheating. Meanwhile, the three-speed, 300-CFM venting system quickly eliminates steam and smoke from the cooktop.
- Versatility. It comes with multiple cooking functions and no less than 175 preprogrammed menu selections.
- Ease of use. The LCD backlit controls are easy to read, even in poor lighting. The Custom Recipe Saver function lets you store cooking instructions for up to 30 different recipes, saving your time and energy every day. and steam up from the cooktop.
- Warranty. It comes with a 2-year limited warranty.
- Warranty. You have to pay an additional $126.97 for 4-Year Protection and $25.73 for 3-Year Protection.
- Affordability. At just over $1000, this top-rated convection microwave oven certainly will not be easy on your wallet.
Sharp SMC1585BW Microwave Oven with Convection Cooking
The Sharp SMC1585BW is a countertop microwave oven with a simple matte white finish and a large capacity: 1.5 cubic units. It is an updated version of Sharp’s popular R930BW. It measures at 19 x 24.7 x 14.9 inches and weighs 56.3 pounds (25.5 kg). Featuring white Carousel® convection and a microwave oven, it provides you with the best of both worlds. You can bake, roast, toast, reheat and fast-cook to your heart’s content.
- Cooking power. With up to 900 watts of microwave power and 1450 watts of convection power, you can defrost, reheat and fast-cook in no time at all. You have 10 cooking power levels to choose from when preparing your favorite dishes. When roasting and baking via convection cooking, you will be operating within the range of 100°F to 450°F.
- Ease of use. The modern key sheet design and white LED display is easy to read and operate. The scratch-resistant glass doors help maintain its visual appeal without too much precaution on your part.
- Easy to clean. Simply remove the 15.4” ceramic turntable to wash it thoroughly with soap and water. (It is also dishwasher-safe). The stainless steel interior also makes for a hassle-free clean.
- One-Touch Buttons. Activate various cooking modes (Reheat, Popcorn, +60 Sec, Auto Broil, Auto Roast, Auto-Bake, Auto Defrost, Preheat, Convect, Broil, Low & High Mix) at the mere touch of a button.
- Safety. Use the child safety lock to prevent any mishaps with toddlers or young children.
- Affordability. At under $600, this is one of the top-rated convection microwaves is on the more expensive end of this list.
- Warranty. There is no mention of a warranty.
Farberware Gourmet FMO10AHSBKA /Convection Function
As its name indicates, the Farberware Gourmet FMO10AHSBKA has been designed to provide “gourmet options for the gourmet individual”. Home chefs that aim to emulate their professional counterparts will benefit from the assistance of this powerful 1,500-watt countertop convection microwave oven. It offers state of the art technology, versatile functionality and a capacity of 1 cubic feet. It measures at 20.5 x 20.1 x 12.8 inches and weighs 46.3 pounds (21 kg).
With over a century of history, Faberware has been synonymous with value, quality and durability. It has served as an innovator and market leader in the houseware category for decades. You can expect high standard manufacturing and consumer-centric designs.
- Elegant design. The model boasts of a sleek black exterior finish and a whole glass door design. The Sensor Touch Control Panel features easy-to-use dial controls that combine visual simplicity with functionality.
- Versatility. You will have 10 power levels and four output options at your disposal: Microwave (1000 Watts); Grill (1150 Watts); Convection (1500 Watts); and Healthy Air Fry. The Healthy Air Fry option provides 9 fry cooking menus that allow you to enjoy crispy French fries, fried chicken or chicken fingers without the added oil and fat from deep frying. Just a drop of oil will suffice.
- Specificity. The Multi-Stage Cooking feature allows for adjustable power and perfect heating that will help you to pull off ambitious dishes. You can also use the Unique Grill Function (by itself or in combination with the microwave) to reheat pizza or toast a muffin perfectly. Few things come close to the texture of a juicy interior and a crispy exterior.
- Ease of use. The modern key sheet design and white LED display is easy to read and operate. The scratch-resistant glass doors help maintain its visual appeal without too much precaution on your part.
- Affordability. At under $500, this top-rated convection microwave is one of the more expensive options amongst these convection microwave reviews.
- Warranty. You will have to pay an additional $15.82 for 4-Year Protection or an additional $15.47 for 3-Year Protection.
- Small size. The 10 power levels and 9 healthy fry options are great, but you will have to work within 1 cubic feet.
The Panasonic NE-1054F is an NSF-qualified heavy duty commercial grade microwave. It has a wattage of 1000 watts and a 0.8 cubic feet cavity (the smallest on this list). It comes with a retro-looking stainless steel face. It measures at 20.12 x 16.56 x 12 inches and weighs 39.75 pounds (18 kg).
The Panasonic NE-1054F is suitable for heavy home usage, as well as for restaurants, fast-food outlets, offices, convenience stores and other business-related purposes. Unlike the Panasonic NN-SD7755 or NN-SN651B, it does not come with inverter technology.
- Innovative design. The Panasonic NE-1054F relies on a bottom energy feed system (unlike other models that use a side or top energy feed). This means that the energy travels a shorter distance from the heat source to the food. You thus benefit from the added efficiency while reducing your environmental footprint.
- Versatility. It is compatible with large dinner plates, casserole dishes, coffee mugs, and glass bowls. With 10 programmable memory pads, a 20-memory capability, six power levels, 10 and preset time settings, you can take on a wide range of cooking challenges.
- Ease of use. The “Grab & Go” door handle allows you to quickly open and close the oven while retaining durability over the long run. You will thus be exempt from the hassle of push-button doors or trigger-activated handles (which adds up in high-frequency situations).
- Blind-friendly. The touch-control keypad comes with Braille markings.
- Additional features. These include an anti-theft component, tone control, self-diagnostics, a transparent oven door, and an interior oven light that allows you to periodically check on your food as it cooks.
- Warranty. All parts come with a one year warranty, save for the Magnetron tube. The Magnetron tube comes with a 5-year warranty.
- Affordability. At under $280, this top-rated device provides great functionality at a value-for-money price.
- Small size. You benefit from its compact size, but you also only have 0.8 cubic feet to work with.
Convection Microwave Ovens Buying Guide
The sheer variety of oven types you can buy on the market often leaves shoppers standing confusedly for hours in the aisle. (Perhaps you are too, despite reading all those convection microwave reviews). There was a time when everyone used the same microwave oven for similar purposes, like cooking popcorn or reheating leftovers. These days, you can find far more combinations of size, aesthetics, and functionality than you would care to an image.
Here are some considerations to help you make a more informed choice when you have to compare all the good convection microwave ovens out there:
- Convection microwave or conventional microwave? Conventional microwave ovens produce microwaves that can radiate through plastic container or glass bowls to cook your food. On the other, convection models rely on the circulation of hot air to grill, roast, or simply heat up your food. (They are also multifunctional, and can work simply as microwaves). This allows for more even and thorough cooking in a short period of time. If you are looking for a convection oven’s browning or crisping abilities, then a convection type is your best bet.
- Countertop or over-the-range? The top-rated convection microwaves reviewed on this list mainly fall into these two categories. (There are also microwave drawers and combination microwave ovens). Countertop convection microwave ovens are usually more compact and space-efficient. Over-the-range convection microwave ovens are usually larger, more powerful, and more expensive.
- Small, medium, full-sized? The size of the oven you need depends on the size of the meals you plan to cook with it. The most compact ovens usually accommodate a dinner plate worth of food. The largest sizes (up to 2.2 cubic feet) can be used to roast an entire chicken or turkey. Do note that countertop ovens need additional space around them to be freed up (since they emit large amounts of heat). Be sure to take this into account when you make your purchase.
- Cleaning duty. If you are hard-pressed for time, look out for ovens with easy-clean stainless steel interiors and turntables that can be removed for dishwasher cleaning.
- Extra features. Modern and sophisticated models often included a variety of useful features: automated or pre-programmed power settings to make your life easier; child lockout features to prevent accidents; automatic sensors that can detect when your dish is fully cooked.