You may have faced a situation when you turn on the ignition of a car, only to realize that the battery needs to be charged. Well, a car battery charger can come to your rescue. It not only infuses the battery with the required amount of charge but also ensures that it lasts longer. Below you can find 10 reviews of the best car battery chargers to buy in 2018, which we have picked after the deep market research.
- 1 Top-Rated Car Battery Chargers & Jump Starters
- 2 Black & Decker BC15BD Automatic Battery Charger: Best Choice
- 3 Black & Decker BM3B: Good Battery Maintainer
- 4 NOCO Genius G3500 3.5A 6V &12V Smart Charger for Car
- 5 GOOLOO 800A Small Portable Jump Starter
- 6 Schumacher SC-1200A-CA 6/12V Heavy Duty Auto Charger
- 7 Schumacher SSC-1000A Digital Charger: Good for Large Batteries
- 8 Schumacher SE-5212A 2/10/50 Handheld Automotive Charger
- 9 Schumacher SE-1052 50/10/2 Fast Trickle Charger
- 10 Schumacher SSC-1500A-CA
- 11 Battery Tender 021-0123 12V
- 12 What to Consider Before Buying a Battery Charger for Car?
- 13 Is It Possible to Charge a Dead Car Battery?
- 14 Car Battery Chargers vs. Jump Starters
- 15 Conclusion
Top-Rated Car Battery Chargers & Jump Starters
Black & Decker BC15BD Automatic Battery Charger: Best Choice
This is a sophisticated automotive battery charger that provides the battery with a three-stage charging. The fast and high-frequency technology ensure that this model gets charged up within a short time. It is a 15 amp charger and is one of the most popular products on the market. It comes with an engine start timer, which makes it convenient for the user to get an estimated idea of the required time. The good quality product has an LCD display and the one-touch automatic charger needs around eight minutes to start the car.
- Black & Decker is one of the most prominent battery charger brands out there, simply because they produce high-end reliable products. Purchasing BC15BD will let you know what a good battery charger should be.
- The majority of its customer reviews are deeply satisfied. Its overall product rating of 80% is a testament to how good the product is.
- Unlike other 12 volt chargers, this product features a Battery reconditioning system that is extremely helpful in prolonging your car’s battery life.
- The product also boasts its reverse polarity protection and an alternator check. These are some important features that help with your battery’s performance and maintenance.
- The BC15BD is one of the best automatic battery chargers that charge 40% faster than the average. On top of that, it doesn’t require complicated settings or configuration. You can just plug it without any worries.
- One could hope for a more portable design. With a weight of 6.88 pounds and a rather big enclosure of 12.4 x 5.8 x 9.9 inches, it is not something you can fit into tight spaces.
- Same with ordinary battery chargers, operating in extremely cold weather may encounter some minor issues.
- Q: Is this capable of charging two batteries in parallel?
- A: The product can be used to charge batteries in parallel.
- Q: Can I plug the model in a 220 AC or only 100?
- A: The product only supports 110V input. Plugging it into a 240 or 220-volt outlet may burn up the device.
Black & Decker BM3B: Good Battery Maintainer
This product from Black and Decker is a low budget product and comes under $20. You can use it as a battery maintainer and this is compatible with 6V and 12V batteries for cars. Clips, vehicle DC-plugs and O-ring terminals are included in the package, which makes the connection easy. The batteries are charged to the optimum level with these high-frequency chargers. The charger switches between float mode and charging modes automatically. It has a good rating and comes with an in-built mounting bracket.
- The product’s small size makes it one of the most recommended battery chargers out there. Don’t underestimate its size and power, however. It is a good portable battery charger that is powerful enough in charging your RV’s, classic cars, lawn mowers, ATV’s or specialty vehicles.
- Black & Decker’s BM3B is a great battery maintainer that features its high-frequency smart charging technology. This keeps your batteries in perfect condition and at optimal charge.
- This charger provides users the option of switching from 6V to 12V battery systems.
- BM3B is a very cheap battery charger that can surprisingly compete with expensive brands in terms of performance.
- It is designed to be conveniently portable with a weight of only 1.25 pounds and with a measurement of 5 x 3 x 9.8 inches.
- The product is one of the best small battery car chargers as can be seen from the many positive reviews of its customers.
- The product can only provide 0-1.5 Amps of power and thus, can charge large batteries at a slow rate.
- Considering its price, this charger is made with not-so-premium materials. That being said, don’t expect much of its durability.
- Q: It this device able to recharge a dead battery to life?
- A: This rather small model is capable of charging a battery from a dead state. It may take a while, but it is doable.
- Q: Is there any way to plug this device into a 240 volt?
- A: The product should be plugged into a 120V outlet and none other, unless you are using converters.
NOCO Genius G3500 3.5A 6V &12V Smart Charger for Car
This is a smart one, capable of charging fully drained out Lithium and lead-acid batteries. It can charge the batteries of cars, lawn mowers, ATV’s and motorcycles. The impressive customer reviews reveal that it has an edge-cutting technology and can repair damaged batteries. The light-weight starter is compact and portable. The rubberized base and mounting holes in the external side prevents it from sliding over or get scratched. It is a high-quality product resistant to water and UV rays. It also comes with protection against spark and reverses polarity.
- NOCO Genius G3500 is the definition of value. It may not be cheap, but you’re definitely getting what you’re paying for. With a reliable performance and a bunch of essential features, it can’t get any better than this.
- With over thousands of satisfied customers, it’s no wonder the product is acknowledged as one of the top-rated car battery chargers with an 86% product rating.
- This product is one of the smart automotive chargers that is designed with spark-proof technology, overcharge protection, and reverse polarity. These keep your batteries maintained and optimally charged. It also monitors your batteries’ health and executes needed reparations such as discharged or sulfated batteries.
- This smart charger is one of the most recommended chargers out there for a dead battery.
- This charger is conveniently portable with dimensions of 7.7 x 2.7 x 1.9 inches and a weight of only 1 pound.
- Warranty is not much reliable and will take a decent amount of time with the process.
- Although this product can operate under a cold weather, it does have issues when it’s under freezing temperature.
- Q: Is there a configuration that will remember my last setting?
- A: The product will always start at the default charge mode of 12V. Under fairly low ambient temperature, it will start at 12V Cold/AGM mode.
- Q: Can I use this as a trickle model or just a maintainer?
- A: The G3500 is a good trickle charger for auto and will take at least 12 hours to fully charge a dead battery.
GOOLOO 800A Small Portable Jump Starter
If you look out for an automotive model that can charge up your mobiles and related accessories as well, you can buy this product. It is effective in almost all types of vehicles, including cars, trucks and tractors. You may charge the devices at the speed of 2.1 amps with the dual port charger. Thus, it has a greater advantage in comparison to other products. This model has a lot of positive consumer reports, as it comes with all sorts of protection, like short circuit protection, overcharge protection, over-voltage protection and so on.
- GOOLOO 800A is probably the smallest, most reliable automobile chargers out on the market. Portability and quality performance is what you can expect from this charger. It has a minuscule size of just 6.2 x 1.9 x 2.4 inches and lightweight of only around a pound.
- The product is designed with multiple advanced Safety Technology. These include over-charge protection, over-voltage protection, reverse polarity, over-current protection and overload protection.
- GOOLOO’s GP37 is designed with a 3.0 USB port to charge your digital devices while on the move.
- The product is actually one of the best jump starters that is suitable for 5.5 Liter diesel engines and 7.0 Liter gas engines. The operation does not take much time and is reliable, that is according to what most car battery charger reviews are telling us.
- The product is still capable of charging even in extremely cold weather at -5 Fahrenheit or -20 Celsius.
- Compared to another high-quality battery charger for cars, the price of this product is a little expensive. It still is worth it however and can be seen by its product rating of 94% from hundreds of extremely satisfied customers.
- Q: When do you usually have to recharge the device?
- A: It is recommended to recharge and plug this product every 3 months at least. That is if it’s not used for a very long time.
- Q: Will this work on a scooter battery?
- A: That depends. This model is not compatible with 6 Volts. Always make sure you plug it with 12 volts compatible devices or batteries.
Schumacher SC-1200A-CA 6/12V Heavy Duty Auto Charger
If you are looking out for a good car accumulator charger, this product may be your choice. It is a 12A rapid charger and helps you to speedcharge the battery. The battery is controlled by an automatic microprocessor. The optimum amperage rate is maintained to ensure that the battery remains in good condition. The product comes from one of the best brands and has auto voltage detection capabilities. This product has a LED indicator and comes with reverse hook-up protection. It is an affordable device and features float mode monitoring.
- Schumacher SC-1200A-CA is the one to purchase when in the market for a heavy duty battery charger for vehicles. It has a 12 AMP automatic microprocessor that also helps a lot with the maintenance.
- The charger features float mode monitoring that helps prolong your battery’s life by keeping it maintained at full charge.
- From the many Schumacher battery charger reviews out there, this is one of the most recommended by customers. It’s 84% overall product rating also helps this cause.
- The product is easy to carry around with a weight of only 1 pound and a compact design of 4 x 3 x 12 inches.
- Unlike most of its competitors, this smart charger has multiple charging modes. The versatility of its amperage rate can help itself adjust to all types or sizes of your batteries.
- Although it is a good heavy duty battery charger, some parts of the product including the buttons are cheaply made.
- This is one of the more complicated chargers that needs a little experience to get a good grasp on how it works.
- Q: Can I use this device for my car without having to plug it in?
- A: The SC-1200A-CA is not a starter or back-up accumulator. You will need to dismount your auto batteries where a power outlet is available.
- Q: Is this capable of charging deep cycle battery?
- A: It is a fully functional charger that can deep charge up to 12 volts.
- Q: Is this one of those models that can be used both 220 and 110 volts?
- A: This device is compatible with 110/120 volts, not 220/240.
Schumacher SSC-1000A Digital Charger: Good for Large Batteries
This one from Schumacher has superb navigation. You can switch between the charge rate display mode and battery using a push button. The product has a warranty and is available at the best price. The test results and charge status are displayed with the help of a digital meter. It is a highly recommended product and has a positive review. Any problem with the system and charging mechanism can be diagnosed with a system test. If you want to slow-charge 2 amp batteries, it is wise to choose Schumacher SSC-1000A.
- Other products have good battery charger ratings, but this one unsurprisingly ranked as one of the tops. It is a great battery maintainer that offers versatility with 3 output current rates at 10, 6 and 2 amps. These determine how fast you want the product to charge your batteries.
- It is among the few battery chargers that can be used for trucks, SUVs, tractors, and motorcycles.
- As to comparisons with other high-quality battery chargers, the SSC-1000A can be purchased at an affordable price just under $50.
- As seen by the many feedbacks submitted, this charger is fairly easy to use and is most reliable when in a tight spot.
- Unfortunately, the Schumacher SSC-1000A is not available in Oregon or California. This is due to the CEC restrictions in the said states.
- You should know that this charger is not a quiet one. It may be fine for some, but it’s definitely a distraction to others.
- Q: Does this charger have an on and off switch?
- A: Just like most of the accumulator chargers out there, this one doesn’t have an on and off switch.
- Q: Does this work on deep cycle batteries?
- A: This charger works perfectly on deep cycle batteries.
- Q: Can you jump-start a dead car battery with this device?
- A: Although it is capable of jump starting car batteries, it is however not doable with a totally dead car battery.
Schumacher SE-5212A 2/10/50 Handheld Automotive Charger
It is a cheap battery maintainer and is able to charge the battery within three to five hours. It is compatible with 2, 10 and 50 amp applications. This handheld charger is a top-rated product and prevents the batteries from getting overcharged. It is powered by LED indicators and you can use the product for optimum charging benefits. It comes fully protected and is manufactured by a top brand. The gadget is compatible with 2, 10 and 50 amp batteries.
- The SE-5212A offers versatility in amperage from 2-amp up to 50-amp charging modes. This makes it one of the best trickle charger for a car while being a reliable large charger for your bigger batteries.
- The best thing about automatic chargers is that they are smart. You won’t have to worry about overcharging your batteries. In a sense, it helps prolong your batteries’ life.
- Despite of having a not-so-cheap price, it still is well-received by the majority of its customers, garnering a good 82% product rating.
- The product has a decently-sized LED display that provides user intelligent information that a user may want to know.
- This handheld product is known to be one of the fast chargers that can fully charge a battery in a little over 3 hours.
- Compared to its competitors, this charger is not conveniently portable with its weight of around 10.5 pounds. Its dimensions of 5.2 x 10.5 x 8.2 does not help either with very limited storage space/trunk. A good one to store in your garage.
- Same with the other Schumacher products, this one is not made available in the state of California and Oregon due to chemicals used.
- Q: Will this charger automatically shut down after the battery is fully charged to prevent damages?
- A: This charger doesn’t actually shut down once the accumulator is fully charged. It will instead switch to trickle mode, which is basically safe.
- Q: Will this charge still work at a very low temperature?
- A: It is capable of operating under 0 degrees Celsius/32 degrees Fahrenheit.
Schumacher SE-1052 50/10/2 Fast Trickle Charger
If you need a car battery charger for emergency starting, you can buy this one. It has to be manually operated and monitored and comes at a decent cost. You can choose the mode of charge using the three-function switch. In case you need a trickle charger for a car battery, this product may cater to your requirements. It can be used for fast charging as well. You can switch to the 10-amp fast-charging mode for the normal charging, and the 2-amp mode can also be used for slow charging.
- It’s not often enough that manual models are praised in the industry. It actually is a good choice when used by more experienced hands. You can set the exact voltage to stop charging your batteries.
- The product is much cheaper than automatic battery chargers. Perfect for those who are in need of a versatile, controlled, and reliable battery chargers with a limited budget.
- This one is one of the most recommended manual chargers for home use. Quite frankly, it does have the features and reliability to be the best battery charger. That is when talking about manual battery chargers.
- Having a manual battery charger also comes with disadvantages. This includes having to monitor the operation frequently to avoid over-charging your batteries. Failing to do so can significantly lower your battery’s life.
- Not quite designed to be portable. It packs a weight of around 11.25 pounds and is measured at 5 x 11 x 10 inches.
- Q: How will I know if the charger is working? Is there an on and off switch?
- A: The product doesn’t have an on and off switch. You will need to plug or unplug this product to make it stop or start working.
- Q: Does this charger need an electrical resource for it to work?
- A: This charger does not have an internal battery, and so is not capable of jump starting your car. You will probably need a wheeled battery charger for that. They are much bigger and usually does have internal batteries.
This is a high-speed model that comes along with battery clamps. The test results and charge status are visible through the digital meter. It is one of the best products on the market and is a portable device. However, it is capable of accommodating 12-Volt batteries only. You can use a push-button for different display features. The auto charger can power marine and automotive batteries. It comes with sophisticated features like voltage detection and reverse-hook-up protection.
- Considered as one of the best battery chargers, the SSC-1500A-CA has both the power and reliability to take care of your dead battery anywhere, anytime.
- This charger provides users 3 options to charge their batteries. 2-Amp mode for a gentle trickle charge, 10-Amp for a more rapid charge rate, and 15-Amp when charging larger batteries.
- This is one of the few Schumacher products that has a 5-year long limited warranty. Other products of the said brand usually extend their warranties for up to 1 or 2 years.
- This 12V battery charger is highly recommended for automotive use by its customers. Simply because this product is designed as quick car battery charger with good battery maintaining features. Even some professionals use it to maintain their car batteries.
- This is an automatic, digital car battery charger which means there’s no need to frequently check up on the process.
- It may not be much, but the product is not compatible with EC-25 and WM-12 quick connect cables.
- Considering its affordable price, don’t expect the enclosure to be made of high-quality materials.
- Q: I want to charge my RV batteries, but they are in parallel. Will this product work?
- A: The product is capable of charging batteries that are in parallel mode.
- Q: Does this charger have an internal accumulator? And is it compatible with 120 volts?
- A: The charger needs to be plugged into an outlet, a power inverter or any generator. Make sure it is 120 V.
Battery Tender 021-0123 12V
In case you need a battery desulfator at a reasonable cost, you can try out this device. It has a warranty of five years and offers full protection against overcharging and reverse-polarity. This one has a twelve-foot output cord and has spark-proof features. It has a four-step charging program for all 12-Volt batteries, which allows the battery to get optimized. The two-colored indicator denotes the stage of charger. It has the automatic charging feature that allows it to get switched to the float mode when it is completely charged.
- Instead of looking for a discount battery charger, get the Tender 021-0123 instead. It’s ridiculously priced just under $30. In fact, it is probably the cheapest, high-performing car battery chargers out there.
- The product is competitive enough to be ranked as one of the best car battery chargers for the money. Designed with spark proof, auto charge cycle system, and easy-to-use functions, there’s no denying that it is indeed a high-quality battery charger.
- The product received very positive feedback from thousands of customers. Its overall product rating of 92% makes it one of the best choices among its competitors.
- It is conveniently portable with a lightweight of only 1.8 pounds and dimensions of 8 x 4 x 9 inches.
- To express how confident the manufacturers are, they are offering a 5-year long limited warranty for the product.
- You might want to know that this car battery charger does not work on larger vehicles such as SUV’s, trucks, RV’s and Tractors.
- The materials used are not of high-quality. It’s quite expected since it does cost almost twice as less with most of its competitors.
- Q: Will this device be able to charge my car and motorcycle batteries?
- A: The product is capable of charging and maintaining batteries from smaller automotive such as ATV’s, Motorcycles, Scooters, and Lawnmowers. It does not maintain larger ones including your average car accumulator.
- Q: Why is this not available in California?
- A: Battery Tender 021-0123 is not available to the California State due to its energy efficiency restrictions.
What to Consider Before Buying a Battery Charger for Car?
Before diving into the world of car battery chargers, there are a few essentials you might want to know. These will determine if the product is a perfect choice or not. Don’t make the mistake of purchasing a product that you’ll soon regret and complain about.
There are quite a few need-to-know basics when it comes to usage. Firstly, you’ll need to consider the weather. Some car battery chargers do not operate well under extreme weather conditions. More specifically, having too low or too high weather temperature.
Second, you might want to know the capability of the charger. Some are able to maintain and recharge batteries from large vehicles, but some can only handle smaller ones.
Lastly, the functionality and simplicity of the charger. Some require manual configuration while some are automated. Both have their pros, but so is with their disadvantages. Automated ones are as simple as plug and be done with it. Manual, however, you will need to regularly monitor the process.
Depending on how you want your car battery to be charged, you should look into the charger’s amperage capability. Viking and Schumacher usually provide different amperage options. Lower amperages than 4 amps are often used to charge batteries at a slow and safe rate, also known as trickle charging. This is usually done overnight. Higher amperage such as 50-amps can generally start a car within hours. That is more than half the speed of trickle charging.
For those who are not familiar with AGM, this is actually the type of battery you may have, also known as Absorbed Glass Mat. The reason why you should take note of this feature in car battery chargers is that different types of batteries tend to require different styles of charging. So, if you do have an AGM battery, make sure the one you’re purchasing one that is capable.
6V or 12V
Even home battery chargers need to be compatible with the voltage capacity of your batteries. Car batteries usually only need 12 volts. If you require other use for your charger, you may want to look for one that offers both 6V and 12V capability.
If you want to prolong the life of your accumulator, you will need to look for a charger that offers battery maintenance. Nowadays, most car battery chargers have these kinds of features. You just need to make sure you’re getting one since there are still those that are designed only for charging.
Is It Possible to Charge a Dead Car Battery?
Though it is possible, it mainly relies on the estimated life of the accumulator. Most car batteries can last long up to 6 years but can also be downed to 4 years from complications. If you think the accumulator has more life to it, it can definitely be charged back to life. There are usually instructions that come with the charger when jump starting dead batteries.
If for a reason the battery still won’t start, there are other factors to consider. It could mean faulty alternator, failed fuses, corrosion, flawed starter connection, or even as simple as the ignition switch.
Car Battery Chargers vs. Jump Starters
Often confused with the same use, car accumulator chargers and jump starters are actually two different devices with different purposes. Car battery chargers are those that are capable of recharging discharged batteries. They are only able to do their job while plugged into an outlet. That can be either a generator or household electric outlet.
Jump starters, on the other hand, are also known as emergency boosters or boost starters. They are not capable of recharging your accumulator but are able to help start your vehicle by acting as a substitute battery. That is only for a quick moment. Since they require a “charge” to jumpstart your car battery, they usually are recharged after each use. These chargers usually come with the jump starter.
With what we reviewed so far, there are too many factors and features involving car battery chargers. It can actually be frustrating to figure out the best one. But by just reading reviews, you should learn a lot about a product. Depending on your personal preferences, make sure you’re getting the best one for you. Remember, the highest rated car batteries may be optimal for others but not for your own good.